iPod 20GB now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jalagl, Jan 2, 2005.

1. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Hi all,

I'll be flying to New Hampshire for a couple of days this week. Since there is no sales tax on NH, I was thinking of getting a new 20GB iPod there, along with a couple of accesories, to save some cash. Is this wise with MWSF just around the corner? most of the rumors have been about the iPod mini, not about the regular iPod. Is there a chance that it would be updated?

Thanks!!!

2. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

I really don't see that much coming for the low-end iPod to be honest .. maybe an iPod Flash, bigger iPod Mini and a 80GB iPod .. but if you just want the 20GB regular iPod there is little to worry about ..

3. greenleaf macrumors member

yea i would agree...i think that they wont be updated for sometime
    Buy Now!!! :D

4. jalagl thread starter macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Thanks guys. I'll probably take the plunge sometime this week :D

5. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Yeah I would say its pretty safe for the 20gb iPods!! At Least it better be because I just bought mine 30 minutes ago!

In all fairness though, unless they come out with some new amazing feature like built in sattelite radio, im not really going to care if they update the iPods.

6. boneca macrumors 6502

I thought about the same thing, I live 30 min from NH border and go there very often for shopping.
    This time I wanted to stop by in CompUSA and get myself couple of items including 20GB iPod and possibly 12" iMac
    Well the stores are totally sold out almost on all Apple items, the only stuff they had there were couple of iMacs 17" and 20", few monitors and older iMacs G4s.

I guess no buy this time...

7. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

This does sort of beg the question, though, with Apple not wanting the apparent flash iPod to cannabalize the other iPod sales, what will they be doing to those lines. Maybe not at MWSF, but what will happen this year? It seems likely the mini will go to 5 GB and stay the same price. Like I said, they probably won't be lowering prices on any models, so they will have to be upgrading storage and/or features and keeping the price the same.

I'd like to see a faster connection (direct or with an adapter) for digital cameras through the dock connector, but that should be something that could be retrofitted to all iPods with a dock? Bluetooth headphones would be really cool, too. I can't decide if I think an FM or XM/Sirius radio tuner would be a good idea. I see some people saying that they don't even like satellite radio because even with a few commercial free stations playing their selected music, they still don't have the freedom an iPod gives them.

Whatever happens, I hope Apple continues to innovate.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The only reason to wait on the 20 gig iPod is that if updates happen they might have a price drop, besides that buy now.

9. jalagl thread starter macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I went to CompUSA today and yep, they had run out of them. I'll try the apple store tomorrow. Hopefully they'll have them - they should have gotten re-stock after the shopping season. :(

10. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I was at the Apple Store in the Rockingham Park Mall a few days ago. (in Salem, NH). They had piles of them! Check them out.

11. boneca macrumors 6502

I was in this store this monday the 3rd. They had none :mad:
    EDIT: sorry I was wrong, I went to CompUSA there not the mall. damn I wish I knew about Apple store in that mall.

12. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....even though the MacRumors Buyers Guide says "due for update soon" I don't think we will see anything either. They are still selling about as fast as they can make them and there isn't really much else to do with them at the moment....except maybe increase the battery life (to that of the iPod Photo) but that couild be done with a "silent update.".......oh yeah!

13. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

I do have my doubt about this .. it is their base model .. and it still sells like crazy .. do why not sell them at the current price .. with a lower price they run the risk of getting into supply issues again ..

14. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

The 20GB model shouldn't be going anywhere. It is the perfect size for most people to hold their music and data backups.

15. jalagl thread starter macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Yep, the Apple store on the mall had none... the Best Buy didn't have any either. :(

Well, I guess my iPod will have to wait until the next time I come back here. Hopefully, it'll be in around two-three months...

Thanks to everyone for your tips!!! :D