Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpix55

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2011
Southern California
I recently found my old iPod 2G (the one with the wheel and four buttons on top) and am curious if I can sync it to my Mid-2010 MacBook Pro. I was able to charge the iPod and play music, so I know it works. I started to look for a firewire to USB adapter, but I am afraid I will purchase an incompatible adapter and end up wasting my time. I found an adapter on Amazon, but I do not know if this one will work for me.

Has anyone else tried to do the same thing I am, but with success?

http://www.amazon.com/elago-FireWir...puters/dp/B003L4P872/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
You can use the USB cable to sync this iPod to your computer. No Firewire is needed. The battery may or may not charge on USB, but at least you can use it to sync.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Yup, if it has a dock connector, it can sync over USB. The very first generation (properly the 3rd generation iPod,) cannot CHARGE over USB, but it can sync.

jpix55

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2011
Southern California
Thanks for the replies.

Here's what's new:

I went ahead and bought the adapter because it was less than $5 and not a huge deal. I attached the adapter to the firewire cord and plugged in to my computer. The iPod then began charging, but iTunes would not recognize it. No errors or anything, just no iPod loaded in the left side dock.

I then took a USB cable and plugged the iPod in, but it immediately turned off. iTunes did not recognize anything this time either. I thought I might have killed the battery or something, but when I unplugged the USB cable from the computer and held the play/pause button, the iPod turned on and still had a charge.

Any ideas? It's not that big of a deal if I can't sync this iPod, but I thought it would be kind of cool to listen to it for a while.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
iTunes supports all models of iPod that have been released to date, so it should work.

The model of iPod that you're talking about is the "iPod with dock connector" - usually referred to as the 3rd generation iPod.

It never supported USB for charging, but USB should work fine for syncing.

Firewire (400) should work for both charging and syncing.

To widen the appeal of the device to Windows users (PCs rarely have Firewire ports), Apple made a cable that featured both USB (to plug into the computer) and Firewire (to plug into the mains power adaptor), with a dock connector at the other end:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA47700

While you CAN sync with USB alone, this iPod model was not at all power efficient - it had reduced battery life compared to the previous model. If you sync over USB (with no Firewire power), the battery will run down VERY quickly and I can't imagine that it's in good condition to begin with (as it's so old).

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Thanks for the replies.

Here's what's new:

I went ahead and bought the adapter because it was less than $5 and not a huge deal. I attached the adapter to the firewire cord and plugged in to my computer. The iPod then began charging, but iTunes would not recognize it. No errors or anything, just no iPod loaded in the left side dock.

I then took a USB cable and plugged the iPod in, but it immediately turned off. iTunes did not recognize anything this time either. I thought I might have killed the battery or something, but when I unplugged the USB cable from the computer and held the play/pause button, the iPod turned on and still had a charge.

Any ideas? It's not that big of a deal if I can't sync this iPod, but I thought it would be kind of cool to listen to it for a while.

Have you tried doing a software reset?

jpix55

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2011
Southern California
iTunes supports all models of iPod that have been released to date, so it should work.

The model of iPod that you're talking about is the "iPod with dock connector" - usually referred to as the 3rd generation iPod.

It never supported USB for charging, but USB should work fine for syncing.

Firewire (400) should work for both charging and syncing.

To widen the appeal of the device to Windows users (PCs rarely have Firewire ports), Apple made a cable that featured both USB (to plug into the computer) and Firewire (to plug into the mains power adaptor), with a dock connector at the other end:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA47700

While you CAN sync with USB alone, this iPod model was not at all power efficient - it had reduced battery life compared to the previous model. If you sync over USB (with no Firewire power), the battery will run down VERY quickly and I can't imagine that it's in good condition to begin with (as it's so old).

This is great information. My iPod third generation knowledge is definitely lacking and I appreciate your help.

Have you tried doing a software reset?

Recently, I have been able to get iTunes to intermittently recognize the iPod with the Firewire 400 to 800 adapter. One thing I discovered that I did not know before was that the iPod is in "Windows" format, if that means anything. I was able to update and the restore the iPod from 2.1 to 2.3, but each time iTunes decided to recognize the iPod, the iPod disconnects and I receive the "You have improperly ejected a drive, please blah blah blah...". Maybe I'll get lucky and iTunes will recognize the iPod long enough so I can load some songs on it! :)

Last edited:

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
Guys, I'm hoping someone can help answer my question.

I recently found my old 3rd gen iPod (dock connector).

I do not have the old firewire 400 cable anymore to charge and sync, I basically want to fire this thing up again using my 2009 13" mbp, my question is, what is the best and cheapest way to accomplish this? am I right in thinking you cant plug a firewire 400 into an 800 port?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Guys, I'm hoping someone can help answer my question.

I recently found my old 3rd gen iPod (dock connector).

I do not have the old firewire 400 cable anymore to charge and sync, I basically want to fire this thing up again using my 2009 13" mbp, my question is, what is the best and cheapest way to accomplish this? am I right in thinking you cant plug a firewire 400 into an 800 port?

You can with a FireWire 400-to-800 adapter. (Properly a "Firewire 6-pin to 9-pin adapter.")

So you'll need a Dock-to-Firewire cable, and an adapter cable such as this Moshi 800 to 400 FireWire Adapter.

Or you can get a direct Dock to Firewire adapter and use any Firewire 6-pin to 9-pin cable.

Edit: You could also get a Dock to USB and Firewire cable, such as the one that Apple made officially. Then you can plug it into any 6-pin Firewire port to charge, and any USB port to sync, at the same time.

(Note: All links found via Google searching.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.