Ipod 30GB Question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by vanillamike, Jun 9, 2003.

1. vanillamike macrumors regular

Hello I am ordering my 30GB iPod today from apple direct because none of the resellers in my area seem to be able to get any in stock. I tried looking at gallery photos over at spymac but I have been unable to figure out what the wire that attaches to the new iPod looks like. On Apple's website they sell an "iPod Dock Connector to FireWire Cable" for $19.00. When you go to order a 30GB iPod from the Apple store it has a listing for a Firewire cable in its contents.

So I was wondering since I plan on using my iPod at school as a hardrive, and I don't want to carry the dock around with me. Is the FireWire cable included with the 30GB iPod the same as the "iPod Dock Connector to FireWire Cable"? or do I need to order the $19 cable to use it at school without the dock?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

2. akushlan macrumors regular

Connector

The connector that goes to the dock will also go straight into the iPod

3. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

as long as the computer has FW you are OK. The cable from the dock to the machine is the same as from ipod to machine. Unless you want an extra cable to carry, you dont need to buy one.

*edit*

someone beat me to it. :p

4. James.Paul macrumors regular

Yes. You won't need to buy anything else. The cable either connects to your dock or to the slot on the bottom of the ipod directly. It has firewire at the other end which connects into a power supply adaptor (included). Enjoy your ipod. I got my two weeks ago and it is awesome. Everyone who sees it loves it, and they want one but they just can't afford it though!!!

*edit*

You thought you were slow, what about me, ten words an hour typing speed!!!!

5. vanillamike thread starter macrumors regular

Ok sweet thanks for the help everyone, now I can't wait for it to show up on my doorstep. I was able to use a $25 CAD coupon (a fathers day promotion) which covered the cost of expedited shipping.

Mike