Ipod 3g 20 gb freezes when downloading songs from Itunes

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mgood86, Jun 28, 2006.

1. mgood86
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

I have a 3g 20gb ipod that is freezing when downloading/updating in Itunes. Then it gives an error message about a door being open on the drive (the ipod drive). Has anyone ever encountered this problem? I have a pc and I formatted the hdd and restored it and updated it. Hope someone has any help.

Thanks.
    Marlene

2. mad jew
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Did you restore the PC or the iPod's firmware? If you haven't already, I'd try restoring the iPod firmware using the latest iPod Software Updater. :)

3. mgood86
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

Restore and reset etc...

Yeah, I restored and updated it with the latest but it still freezes after a couple songs...and says a door is open on the ipod...Is confusing the heck out of me. I thought that could be fixed by a format, restore, and update.

4. mad jew
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is there another computer you could test the iPod on? Is your PC having issues with other peripherals? :)

5. mgood86
    Expand Collapse

Other computer

Tried it on my other computer but it does the same thing...guess I am going to sell the hard drives if I can't get them fixed...Just wish I could fix them...Could I run a scan disk utilty program to check the drive for errors then fixes them? Guess I'll try it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

6. mad jew
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, that's a good idea. Run a scan disk or disk check app over them to see if it can fix any problems. I don't know of any good apps for Windows to do this though, sorry. :eek:

7. mgood86
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I'll try that and let you know how it goes....battery needs a good charge so it may be later today...thanks.

8. mgood86
    Expand Collapse

Hey sorry haven't gotten back til now...had a death in the family.

Any way. Ran a scan disk program and it went through and didn't come up with any error notifications. Did a defrag and no problems there. Guess I will have to go buy a new cable and try that. Then, if no ideas come around, I will sell the hard drive. I now have two hard drives, a 10 gb and a 20 gb that both freeze when downloading, and a dead 15 gb hard drive. It sucks.

Hope someone out there has some help.

If anyone knows how to go through a hard drive and refurbish it, maybe they could give me some instruction on how to refurbish a dead hard drive that would be cool. I am pretty cool when working with electronics...anti static work area and all, plus a general know how.

Thanks

9. mad jew
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm sorry to hear about the death. :(

For all intents and purposes, refurbishing the drive is impossibly hard without the right tools and some serious experience. Maybe look into getting a Flash-based iPod since they're relatively more durable in terms of their storage medium. :)