ipod 3g crashes my pc

Discussion in 'iPod' started by alex905, Aug 8, 2006.

1. alex905 macrumors newbie

at first when i pluged it into my pc via firewire it just wouldent come up now when i do it it will either crash or it will come up on my computer but when i try and acces it with explrer it just says something like this device is not remoated do you want to format it. so i thought that if i used the update program it might work but when i load that on and plug in my ipod, when i trys to recigmnis it it just freezes i also tryed opening it in wmp 11 but it cant see it at all their. i thoguht that itunes might be the problem so i uninstalled that but no luck. i can still use my ipod with no probs and i dont have a backup of my songs and i recently had to format my pc so i cant rest my ipod.

i hope someone can help.

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

The hard drive is dead/failing.

I had to help someone with the same problem. The only fix is to replace the hard drive or get a new iPod...

3. tektonnic macrumors 6502

tektonnic

You arn't trying to move songs from your iPod to your PC are you?

Sounds like your PC is broken, there is a great site online you can get a new one here j/k

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Make the font colour WHITE next time :p

Definitely a nackered hard drive though. If you hold your ear up to it while it's first connected to the computer, you can probably hear a whining/grinding/clicking sound...

5. tektonnic macrumors 6502

tektonnic

I know I know, on the one hand I really would like to help but on the other hand a tiny piece of me had to say that.

There are a few repair services for iPods, I know as a guy bought me 3g ipod which was smashed and re-sold it working.

6. alex905 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks but i know from experinece that it isa mini drive in the ipod and that that noise is the brearings sticking. it can be fixed temparly so i can get my songs off it. but if i do so it could break it. so i will take it down to the appel shop when i can but iim still not sure if it is the drive as i can still use the ipod i think it is just corupt.

but like i say i will see beofre i do anything.

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

If you don't have a backup, using something like YamiPod get all of your songs off the iPod before you attempt anything else.