ipod 3g to 4g upgrade

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Mord, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I just finished transplanting my 3rd gen HD onto a broken 4th gen i got off ebay for £37, for anyone attempting this first remember to format the 3rd gen in disk utility, then you need to force the 4th gen with new HD into target disk mode and then use restore on the ipod utility as unless you do that it still shows up as a 3rd gen and buggers up when you try to update the firmware as theirs some residual firmware on the HD, I think.

Anyway, once you've done that it appears as a regular 4th gen ipod and I'm listening to it now.

I thought i'd post about it seeing as thats the exact way you have to do it otherwise it appears that the ipod is rejecting your HD.

clickwheels rule.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

so other than the firmware issue, it went smoothly? sweet.

makes me wonder how easy it would be to install one of those new seagate 120gb drives in a 4th gen 60gb enclosure.

granted, i'll wait for the warranty to be up first, but that would be sweet to double the size...

3. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

seagate will probably use a different interface, just like hitachi does.

toshiba owns the pcmcia style card design.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I seem to remember them putting an 80 gig IDE drive "in" an iPod... not really in.. more like hanging out the back it was so big, but if you can hot-wire an IDE drive in, I'm sure they can handle a 120gb drive (assuming it's the right size and all) no problem.

EDIT: Got it... and it was a 300gb HDD.
    http://www.command-tab.com/2005/03/13/ipod-super/

5. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

battery life would suck with the larger drives...

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thats debatable. depends on the rpm of the drive actually.

7. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

the 3.5" HD's use 12v/5v thus are not electronically compatible with ipods, the 1.8" HD's the ipod use are 500mA 3.3V drives.