iPod 3G US Firmware PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by hob, Mar 15, 2004.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I'm trying to remove the volume restriction on my EU iPod by replacing it with the US firmware. Could one of you lovely non-european people send me your US firmware binary please?

All you have to do is:

Connect your iPod to your Mac OS X machine.* Before you do this RESET it.* As you see the APPLE hold down PREV and NEXT.* This will force it into Disk Mode!!!!
    You must become root to change the partition map of your iPod, open the Terminal and type:
    Code:
    % sudo -s

Lists attached disks:
    Code:
    root# df

Terminal output which lists your iPod:
    Code:
    /dev/diskxs3************** 9714320* 9666416*** 47904*** 99%*** /Volumes/<name_of_your_ipod>

(We will use x instead of the number of the disk, disk0 is normally your internal harddisk.)
    US-iPod-Owners: Please, use these commands to share the firmware without capped volume:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/diskxs2 of=~/<name of outputfile>
    gzip <name of outputfile>

Thanks anyone!

2. gopher macrumors 65816

Consult with your ear doctor first. There is good reason you shouldn't be listening to music that loud. You might go deaf.

3. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

This is about the choice - the ability to be able to play my music that loud! Are American users more deaf than European users, eh?

4. gopher macrumors 65816

Based on the number of inconsiderate drivers driving down my street with their windows open and stereos blasting, I'd think so.

5. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

Heh :) well i'll be sure to keep my windows up when i get my car...

So anyone got the file for me?

6. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

is it possible to just use an american software updater? if not, give me a little bit and i'll do it for you.

7. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

Thanks for the offer...

With the instructions I'm using it specifies I should use someone elses firmware - but having not been able to find any on the regular FT program. I'm trying to use the US firmware update, but mine came with EU 2.1 on, so I'm not sure it'll be any good...

Thanks everyone :)

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I would agree, this really is a personal choice thing. As long as there are ample warnings, I think that the volume should really be able to be adjusted any which way. I have a disc-man that allows you to put on (and turn off!!) volume restrictions, to protect your ears. It limited the volume to a level that I could only hear the music in a silent room. I would have to ask people to stop talking to hear it well. In the car there was no point...

9. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

I totally agree - yes, there are health implications, but unlike (seemingly) most people I don't like using ear buds - and the Apple ones didnt seem particularly spectacular, so I dumped them for my Panasonic Neck-Phones, and I could do with a little more volume, especially on some tracks!

The updater idea didn't work, so if anyone has this firmware for me, please let me know :)

10. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

sorry hob, it's not working right. i don't have access to root :(

11. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

Oh, you need to be the admin account on the computer?

If that's the case just type
    Code:
    sudo -s

then your password...

Worked for me :)

12. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i dont know my root password is my problem.. that'd be funny if someone here could help me with that :p
    sorry.

13. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

ok forget it. i actually never had a root password. i got one, so ill send it to you in a few once i do everything it says to do.

edit-the terminal commands are not working out for me for some odd reason.

14. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

Hmmmm....

Anyone wanna help us out here??

15. Dr.Cody macrumors newbie

The Fix...

You can set and change your rootpassword in the program Netinfo Manager located in the utilities folder. Under security you can set password and enable root user.

Be carefull and don't do anything else in this app because it can severly screw up your whole system!!! We're talking re-election of bush here... ;)

ANd then.. when you guys are done with the firmware binary of the US ipod.. could some one please send me a copy? :rolleyes:

thanx

16. helbro macrumors newbie

need the firmware binary as well

Hey guys! I have the same problem as the founder of this thread. Have any of you come across US firmware binaries? If you have, i would greatly appreciate it if youcould sen me a copy as well! ;)

Cheers!

//Nicke