iPod 3G v. 4G - Is 4 hours of battery worth $40?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by wowoah, Jul 27, 2004.

1. wowoah macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about getting a new iPod and I have two options. The campus computer store is currently offering the new 4G 20GB iPod for $269, as well as the older 3G 15GB iPod for $229. (The disk space is not an issue, I only have ~5GB of music anyway. The remaining space would be for backup.)

The question: Is the additional 4 hours of battery life worth the extra $40 I would be paying for the new one? Other than the battery life, I don't see any other majorly compelling reasons to pick the 4G over the 3G. If anyone can think of some, please let me know.

Thanks a lot!

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

If you like the 3G design a lot better, then get that one. Otherwise, yes the 4G is worth an extra $40

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I guess it depends on whether the $40 is a hardship type of thing. Also it depends on how much you are on the road.

4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

you never know, that extra 5 GB could really come in handy forlarge file transfers or for backups. And I would go for the new one, but, before you buy anything try it out lots in the store first.

5. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

4G All the Way!!

I definitely vote for the new 4G iPod. Sure, it's just another 5GB of space, but it comes with a lot of extra features that are definitely worth the 40 bucks. It charges over USB 2.0, an extra 4 hours of battery life (as you mentioned), the mini's click wheel (which is amazing), a slightly lighter and sleeker body, multiple OTG playlists, and the shuffle command at the menu. And only for an extra $40? Definitely the right choice. ;)

6. wowoah thread starter macrumors regular

Oooh, I forgot about the multiple on-the-go playlists. That's worth at least a few more bucks.

My girlfriend is shaking her head at me right now as I contemplate this purchase decision. Women will never understand. :D

7. Bobcat37 macrumors member

Yeah, actually I'm considering selling my 3G 20GB iPod and upgrading to the 4G 20GB iPod.

However, I do want to test the new 4G ones first, because I've never used the click wheel (it sounds like it's pretty cool though).

Hey wowoah... if you decide against the 4G one, I could always sell you my 3G 20GB iPod for the same price you'd pay for that 15GB one. And mine even has an extended 1.5 year warranty on it still.

Just a thought :)

8. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

Don't underestimate just how awesome the Click Wheel is. ;)

The G4's Click Wheel is a huge improvement over the funky touch-buttons on the G3 (at least worth a good 20 or 30 bucks).

Also, many G3 iPods fall a ways short of the 8 hour battery life. "Real-world" tests of the G4 put give it a 12+ hour battery.

Go for the new 'Pod (I did, and it's a great device).

9. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Get the 4G, it's hot. Upgraded from my 3G and I'm loving it. The click wheel is really nice, it's just more satisfying to turn it off by actually holding a button down instead of "touching" it. It also looks old school like the 1/2G.

10. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

I actually just got one of the elusive 4G iPods today at best buy. I had been trying to get one since I got a 100 gift card a week ago and finally they had the 20 gb in stock! I am charging it right now, and I must say that i greatly appreciate the 4g's design a lot more than the 3 g's weird touch buttons.

11. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

I recommend the new 4G too,its so much easier to navigate with the click wheel,better battery life,more menu options...And it looks allot nicer in person!

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm willing to pay an extra $90 Australian right now (Edu pricing) for the 4G iPod instead of the iPod mini, despite capacity not being a big deal whatsoever (same situation as you ;) ), because of the battery life alone. :eek:

Its really not just 4 hours difference. If you like skipping songs, or/and use the EQ, you won't get 8 hours out of the 3G. You'll probably get 6 to 7 hours of life. Everywhere I read, I notice that people get OVER 12 hours if they don't skip songs a lot, but still get around 12 hours when skipping tracks and such. That's more like 5 or 6 hours difference between the 3G and 4G because of the way I personally would use the iPod. That's a large difference, and capacity not being a factor, $90 is a lot more money to pay for battery life considering the mini is a better size and weight for my jogging, and yet I'm still willing to pay the $90.

I say, "Pay the $40."

13. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

At first I was going to upgrade...

I was going to upgrade from my 3G, but then I realized that I actually prefer the 3G in all ways. No pressable buttons, it looks classier, etc etc. I'll save the hundreds of dollars and spend $40 on a new battery.
    -Kevin