iPod 3rd Gen Super Slow!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by macbook2,1, Aug 16, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2011
    So, I have this 3rd generation iPod Touch that I bought back in June 2009. It was nice, smooth, and snappy when I first had it. However, it's been on a steady decline since. Now, it's almost unusable. Any app I tap on takes quite a while to load—ah, and then if I accidentally rotate the iPod it'll stay stuck for even longer! I'm almost always a word or two (or three) ahead of what's being actively typed on the screen. Games... I've deleted them all because those are especially slow.

The iPod is only two years old.
    It's currently using 10 out of 16 GB of memory.
    I've reformatted it twice.
    Other than the speed, it's impeccable. No damage what so ever.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there anything I can do? Does anyone know why this happens? Is it me? Is it Apple? Is it to make more money? Is it the technology?
  2. macrumors 68020

Sep 30, 2010
    221B Baker Street.
    Not sure about your problems, but this has to be a second generation if it has 16GB. I would try restoring it.
  3. macrumors 68020

Nov 27, 2007
    Do another restore. When you get to the screen on iTunes asking you whether to set it up as new device or restore from backup, disconnect, iPod and play with it. Run some native apps to see if this is fast. If it is, something in your backup is corrupting it. You should then set it up as a new device, and gradually put apps back. Unfortunately you'll lose your in-app data, but you'll get your iPod back.
  4. macrumors regular

Jul 21, 2009
    June 2009? 16gb?

It's a 2nd Gen, not a 3rd gen.

Try restoring the device. It seems to clear out a lot of crap on the iPod, and a freshly restored device always runs faster than one that's been running for years and years.

once you've restored it, you can just sync music and apps back on.

restoring from a backup may reverse the positive effects of the restore... so, I dunno about doing that.