Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jhanky20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
my charger cord works fine for my Ipod 1. but when i plug my ipod 4 into my computer, it wont read it. It was completely dead, and i just got it from someone on ebay. so idk if there was any internal damage during the mailing process, OR if the guy that i bought it from sold my a bogus ipod that he knew wouldnt charge. either way, the ipod 4 wont charge. i have it plugged in and it shows a battery with a little red bar and a lightning bolt under it. do i need a knew cord for a 4th gen ipod vs a 1st gen? and what do i need to use to clean my port without damaging it further? gah. ive never really knew much about apple products.. needin some help from an apple genius :3 haha

edit: like every 5-10 mins it lights up with the apple symbol but then goes back to a black screen afterwards. also before i had plugged it into the computer, i had it plugged into an adapter into the wall and it said "not supported with this accessory"

Jhanky20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
i did actually. it did the same thing. the only thing i can think of is internal damage or needs a new battery? idk.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Use some compressed air to clean out the port. If you can still see stuff in there, very carefully use a toothpick to loosen it and blow it out again. I have had cables that work on some iPods and not others. Try using a newer cable if you can.

Jhanky20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Now it's in restore mode. And every time I try to restore it, it stops part way thru and says session timed out. Ad it won't charge so I can't downgrade the iOs.. It's like I can't do anything? And I bought it off eBay (my firsts mistake) so I don't think taking it to the apple store will be of help unless I'm ewilling to dish some more money out.

Edit: I did all the steps for jailbreaking on my older iPod. And it worked.. So it's gotta be something internal now the newer one..?

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Man, you are really flying blind with this ipod, having purchased it without knowing it's history. I'm thinking you should contact the seller and see if you can get your money back. If not, maybe it's your version of iTunes, or maybe it's corrupted and needs to be reinstalled. Maybe. I hope you didn't pay too much for the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.