1. Andr3w_g4 macrumors newbie

I have a question about the IPOD 40 and its battery life. I know there are supposedly "no moving parts" in the IPOD and when I've seen it a the store there are no battery compartments but my question is how long is the battery life? Not for single use but after a few years?? And becuz you can't take the battery out, what happens in a few years when the battery completely dies? Do I have to send it back to Apple so they install a new battery?? Or is it the fact that after a few years I can't replace the battery and nothing can be done to save it?? Help me! lol.

Thanks.

2. ghostboy macrumors newbie

I think the battery is supposed to last you at least a couple of years, with general use. If it's heavy-duty use, charging it every day, that period goes down considerably.

From what I hear you can replace the battery yourself (if you wanna risk taking it all apart and tinkering around), or depending where you live, Apple can replace it for you ($99 in US).

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I have a 40GB but I just got it so I can't really tell you about extended use and the battery life. So far in day to day I'm getting pretty darn close to the stated 8 hours though. Also I got mine from Best Buy which offers a 4 year no questions asked gaurantee for $30.

You can replace the battery yourself the battery is $50 but you could leave marks on your case. Apple will do it currently for $100.

Battery life is completley dependant on your use and how you maintain the iPod. There should be no difference in battery life between all the iPods. They do have a moving part since they are hard drive based they have to spin up the hard drive and they also have to move the read/write head. Personally I would think the 40GB should be able to attain a slightly better battery life in day to day use then the other iPods. This is because it has a much higher data density per platter then the other drives. This means higher read and write speeds which means less spin up time and less time it's using additional power.

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Like MacBandit noted above, the iPod is not a flash based media player and carries in fact a hard drive thus having moving parts for guts. I haven't tried running with my 3d 20GB, but I imagine despite having a buffer it'll skip but not as bad as say a CD player.

Hmm..I think there are certain sites that will either replace your battery for a fee (you send your iPod into them) or ones that will sell you a replacement battery included with instructions as to how to open the iPod and performing the swap.

5. niter macrumors 6502

I have a question to thow in.

What is considered "general" everyday use for an iPod?

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Anywhere from a couple hours to 8 hours or more a day. Basically anything but constant 24 hour use. The battery is good for 500 recharge cycles.

Go to this site it has some great info about use, life, and battery replacement.

www.ipodlounge.com