ipod 4G 20gb or ipod Mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by crowdaddy, Aug 3, 2004.

1. crowdaddy macrumors regular

Hey,

Would you purchase a 4G 20gb or the ipod mini. I've decided to take the ipod over the minidisc so now I gotta figure out which one to get. The only negative of the ipod mini is that its so hard to find, that is sortof turning me off of it. And also the accessories for the regular ipod surpass the mini's accessories right now. I don't really need 20gb but if i want to record lectures and concerts and what not it may come in handy. By the way, which microphone would be best for recording lectures?

Thanks!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The mini is undoubtedly cool, and, if you can handle the 4GB limit, it's quite a nice little device. That said, if you can't find one to buy, it'll do you no good.

The 4G 20GB is only $50 more, has 5X the space, and can use a voice recorder, like the recommended Griffin iTalk. Should you want to record anything, you can fit something like a week's worth of audio within 10GB. Not too shabby.

For me, I'd go with the immediate purchase, the massive amount more room, the voice recording, and the rumored 4G hidden features and get the 20GB. But that's me.

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

What is that hidden feature? Does it pop open during new years? :p

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

We'll have to wait and see.... ;)

5. crowdaddy thread starter macrumors regular

Have any of you had any sucess with any sort of recording devices like belkins or italk?

6. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

If you plan on using this for voice recording go with the 4G 20GB......but know that there aren't any cases out there yet (except for Apples but those are not great).
    If you are worried about size and style......go with the mini. But you will not get the recording capabilities.

My wife and I have a 40GB 4G and a Blue Mini and I love them both. I was pleasantly suprised that I could fit all of my favorites and playlists from a 30+GB music collection on the mini.

The click wheels on the 4G's are a little less sensitive than on the minis so navigating is a bit better......but not much.

Hope this helps.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I got the 4G yesterday, and now I don't regret it one bit. At first I did, since I had been tearing my hair out trying to figure out which would be the better match for me. I decided to get the Mini, walked to the store to buy a Mini, but walked out with a 4G. :p

Here's my considerations:
    - I exercise and jog, and so I thought the Mini size and weight (more important, IMO) was a much better fit for me.
    -I don't really care about capacity. I really don't care if I can carry "only" 2 days worth of music or not. :eek:

- Right now, I've used my 4G for about 6h 45min, and it still has 40 to 50% of it's charge left. :D This is only on the first charge, and I've been flipping through menu's, loading songs from my PB, & switching songs while on battery power. Since this is my calibration charge, and because I won't need to download all my songs again, play with the settings, etc, the battery life should be better! from now on!!! :eek: It should last me 11 to 12 hours with regular use, eeeeasy!!
    - The iPod mini will last from 5 to 7 hours under regular use.

-The size of the 4G is tiny enough already!! The Mini isn't THAT much smaller than the iPod, but it does feel much smaller when its in your hand. Since it'll be sitting in a pocket most of the time, the size won't matter except for while I'm jogging. However, the other 95% of the time I use it, size won't matter. Am I willing to give up the amazing battery life for the benefit of the Mini's small size for jogging, when it won't benefit me 95% of the time I use it?

8. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

This question has been asked so many times, but it is undoubtly most agonizing question for budget buyers.
    I urge most to go with the Mini.
    Most people that ask this question do not have a large library of music and 4GB is suitable for many. Also, the colors are attractive to this group of buyers that is looking for iPod image. It is more scratch resistant as well with its metal casing.
    If you don't care about looks (which obvious isn't the case with iPod purchases), 20GB is a very good DAP, but you will not regret your decision anyway you choose.

9. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i have a personal problem with the regular iPod. the size difference between iPod and the Mini is accentuated by the fact regular iPod practically demands an external case in order to avoid unsightly scratches on the chrome back, whereas Mini is made of more scratch proof (or less visible scratches anyway) anodized Al case.

for this reason, i'm gonna get a Mini.

10. Sven071 macrumors newbie

I just bought the 4G 20G ipod on Sunday, and i love it. Wouldnt trade it at all...... the touch wheel is a little different to get use to, but its awesome to say the least..............I have had no problem carrying my ipod in my pocket at all, sometimes i have to check my pockets to see if its still there...... its not as bad as you would think. I love how i can write notes, and update my address book and have it Sync with my ipod.

11. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

couldnt have walked out with a mini if you wanted one anyhow(4-6 week wait), but the 4g is nice but not as nice as the mini.

12. friarbayliff macrumors regular

I personally like my 20GB 4G a lot better. For me, the size is negligable, and the extra space that the larger ipod offers is amazing. I store all of my music on it and use the remaining space to have my ipod serve as an external hard drive. Doing this is simly not practical on the small capacity mini (even though I still think the minis are unbelievably sexy and cool).

13. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

I accidentally jerked my mini out of my hand via the earbud line and it flung out and onto the sidewalk (OUCH!!!). It got some serious divits in the aluminum, but continues to work..

14. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have a mini and wouldn't trade it for a 4th gen. Quite simply, I would waste the extra space; I just don't need it. So given that, I'll take the mini because it's smaller - yes the ipod is very small as well, but the mini is even smaller. :)

15. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

nice. :D

i guess i just like the idea that Mini, out of the box, can handle daily, normal wear with no obvious "scratches," while it would take a person of unbelievable anal-ness to keep iPod free of visible scratches without using a 3rd party cover...

16. praetorian909 macrumors regular

If you're planning to use an iPod for heavy audio recording use, you should know that the 3G iPod is limited to very low quality 8kHz mono recording. From what I've read this is something Apple has done deliberately since the chip in the 3G and 4G (not sure but I would think the mini also) is technically able to record in stereo at 40kHz.

Then again it's possible that this could turn out to be one of the "secret features" of the 4G iPod...

17. crowdaddy thread starter macrumors regular

OK.... this is what I ended up doing:

Ordered a Green ipod mini with the mini dock to get me going, I plan on purchasing the armband soon too! My music library is 2 gigs...its been like that for a while, there is no way i could use 20gb, the price and the practicallity is what swayed me.