iPod 4G (20gb) unresponsive click wheel?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Mat246, Feb 29, 2012.

1. macrumors member

So I've got a 4g iPod and it seems to be stuck at the language menu, i can restore it fine in iTunes but it won't let me select a language, also it won't let me do a reset on the actual iPod, is my click wheel broken?

2. macrumors newbie

Are you able to scroll the dial but not able to click? This is often a symptom of a failing battery. The battery swells and puts pressure on the underside of the switch, preventing you from being able to click.

I had this happen about 2 years ago to a 3rd generation iPod. I made a trip to the local battery store and bought a battery replacement kit for under $40 and it is going strong today.

3. thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately it doesn't register clicks or scrolls, everything else works it just the wheel.

4. thread starter macrumors member

Has anyone got any experience with this? I took the whole thing apart and nothing appears to be wrong, I guess il have to try a replacement wheel...

5. macrumors member

What did you end up doing about this? I would have said the same thing as MOjo-- seen the same problem before. Not even a little bulge on the battery?

6. thread starter macrumors member

I bought a new click wheel and it fixed the problem, battery life is still good and no swelling. It was a very cheap fix and I'm happy it's now fully working.