iPod 5g or 5.5g hard drive replacement

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mrmeister, Jul 30, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Hi,
    I have an old iPod 5/5.5g 30gb that broke a few years back. I'm wanting to repair it for a friend. I'm assuming that the problem is a hard drive failure - it makes a horrible clicking sound when spinning up and usually fails to keep spinning, and under disk utility on my mac it can't format the drive (it also sees it as a 12.1gb drive...).

So, it's my understanding that the hard drive is broken - i could have also dropped it a few years back, i don't remember.

Anyway, i have no way of telling whether it's a 5g or 5.5g, because i can't get it to work to see if i have the search function or not...

Does it matter which hard drive i put in this? Can i put a 30, 60 or 80gb drive in, or can it only be 30/60 or 30/80?

I'm also guessing that i can't put an ipod 6g/7g 160gb hard drive in there? It's a shame because they're really cheap (only £40 on ebay).

Anything else i need to look out for?

If you're going to post links or recommend sites, i live in the UK, so no international please.

Thanks

2. thread starter macrumors regular

Anybody? She goes travelling on August 18th so i'd like to have this fixed up before then if i can

3. macrumors 65816

Neodym

You may want to read this thread for more (if not all) information you need.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Ok great, it seems as though mine is a 5g (defined by a white sticker underneath the LCD ribbon cable on the logic board), and can take up to a max of 120gb before problems start to arise (according to other users on the forums).

My question now is, i've found a 120gb drive [samsung HS12YHA - 5mm thickness]: Can i use the 120gb ipod 6g backplate on an ipod 5g?

The ipod 5g 30gb has a thickness of 0.43 inches
    The ipod 6g 120gb has a thickness of 0.41 inches

Thanks

5. macrumors 65816

Neodym

Sorry, but i have no idea. Better ask in the linked thread, as all relevant knowledge seems to be gathered there.