iPod 5G plays but there is no sound

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Artmuzz, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Artmuzz, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

macrumors 6502

Jun 17, 2008
    I bought an iPod Video 5G secondhand today and when I got home to play some music on it there is no sound. When I turn the volume up all I hear is background hiss. The music is playing because the music track counter is moving.

Could I be right in thinking that it could be an issue with the hard disk?

Please help.
  2. macrumors 68020

Feb 19, 2011
    Restore in iTunes, if that doesn't do it it's definitely a hardware problem. Take it back, get a refund?
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 17, 2008
    I did a restore on iTunes but I'm still getting no audio even when music is playing. I can hear some background hiss when I turn up volume to maximum. When I put the iPod next to my ear and play a track I hear the hard drive spin then it stops after a second. This is what is making me think it's a hard disc problem.
  4. macrumors P6

Jan 24, 2010
    Its probably the hardware problem that effected most iPod 5G/5.5G devices. If you squeeze somewhere on the click wheel, I forget where, the sound will return as long as you squeeze it. There is no fix for this problem.
  5. Artmuzz, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 17, 2008
    I tried squeezing the click wheel and at the right bottom of the click wheel but I still hear no music. My only hope is that I get my money refunded when I take it back to my local secondhand shop.:(
  6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 17, 2008
    I took the iPod 5G back to the shop but the guy refused to give me a refund. Instead he told me he would have to take it off me to repair it. He then told he would phone me in a couple of days once it is repaired. I gave him the iPod to repair and he said he would phone me back. I am actually finding this suspicious.
  7. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 17, 2008
    I went back to the secondhand shop and it was a bit of a carry on. My iPod was still sitting on the bosses desk untouched. I asked for a full refund but he refused to give me a refund telling me that there is no money back guarantee on secondhand goods. I then told him that I know my rights and by law secondhand goods have got to come with a money back guarantee if it is not in satisfactory condition. The guy then started shouting and arguing so I asked for my iPod back and told them that I will be in touch with trading standards and walked out.
  8. macrumors newbie

Oct 10, 2011
    Same problem

My iPod video is having the same problem. The magic squeezing spot on my iPod is halfway between the fast forward and the play/pause, just off the click wheel. It's inconvenient to have to squeeze it in order to hear, but...
  9. macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2005
    Mooresville, NC
    I've seen and repaired this issue before. In my experience, it's one of two things: a bad headphone port assembly or a bad logic board. It's pretty easy to find the parts online + install w/ iFixIt guides.
  10. macrumors regular

Jan 30, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    You could also see if you're getting audio out the 30 pin connector, barrow a dock or cable. Might help you narrow it down.