iPod 5G screen brightness

Discussion in 'iPod' started by stoavio, Aug 13, 2006.

1. stoavio macrumors member

stoavio

I was comparing my iPod 5G that I got back in December to my friend's 5G iPod that he got about 1 month ago and there is a noticeable difference in the screen brightness. They're both 30GB. Have they upgraded the displays? My display isn't as vivid in color, nor is it as bright, and it has a very slight yellowish hue rather than a vivid whitish/blue glow.

I bought it at BestBuy and did buy the extended warranty. Has anyone else noticed this? If you have a 5G iPod that's 4-6 months old, see if you can compare it to a newer one and see a difference in screen brightness and color vividness.

Oh yea, I did enter diagnostics mode and made sure the brightness was at the highest setting (which it was by default).

2. luckylisp macrumors 6502

I got my iPod in the Spring of this year and noticed the exact same thing when comparing it with a couple people who bought theirs when they first came out. It might just be a random coincidence though, it's hard to say.

3. stoavio thread starter macrumors member

stoavio

I think a safe assumption is that the newer 5G iPods have better LCDs. I'm bummed!

4. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Based on a sample of 2?

Mine is one of the first 5G and I certainly haven't observed any kind of yellowish tint, though I admit I haven't compared any side by side.

5. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I havn't found any yellowish tint either. I havn't heard of any LCD display changes.

6. Naddel81 macrumors newbie

Hi,

that phenomenon has been confirmed in several "real iPod forums" as ilounge etc..
    They did upgrade to better displays and a more scratch-resistant front-material. Those kind of lineup-improvements are standard everywhere (if it does not increase production costs) so don't expect an official announcement for every single change they make.
    By the way: Stating to use "better components" now would imply the old hardware was worse, so there is no real interest in doing that.