Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simon89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Yorkshire, UK
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at refreshing my iPod video, as like many others it has some battle scars and the common scratching all over.

I've been looking at new cases for it and was wondering if the metal 7G case would happily house the 5G internals?

Thanks

Simon89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Yorkshire, UK
I have found out that it will fit the 6G/7G case, although you need to transfer the internals onto a 6/7G internal frame.

I'll be buying all the parts necessary and will post some photos up once I've done the swap.

kevinjohnson20

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
London
I really don't know that if I am having an old I-pod and want to update it so would it be updated with 5G or 7G?? One of my friend told me that it happens and I can do that by updating a new software version but somewhere I heard that if you have too old I-pod so you wouldn't able to do so.

matthew2926

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2013
Michigan
I really don't know that if I am having an old I-pod and want to update it so would it be updated with 5G or 7G?? One of my friend told me that it happens and I can do that by updating a new software version but somewhere I heard that if you have too old I-pod so you wouldn't able to do so.

Not sure if I understood your post but, any modifications to iPods other than replacing the logic board don't affect what version the iPod is capable of running. Even if he was to put the 5G internals into a 7G housing, it will still run the latest iPod firmware available for the 5G iPod since the logic board is still for the 5G iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.