1. livewire154 macrumors newbie

I have a 3rd generation iPod, and though it has served me well it is finally starting to die. The rewind and forward button no longer work (which makes no sense seeing i never use them :confused: ). Anyways I am thinking of getting a 30 GB ipod photo, but I have heard that the new iPods (5th generation) are due out within a few months. Is this true? Or are the just updating them?

any information is great

Clayton :)

2. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Its an inevitability that they will come out.

My estimate is July to August time, but in all honesty, the overwhelming honesty of the matter is that nobody knows. If we did, Apple wouldn't sell any ipods.

Either way, get an iPod Photo, and you'll be fine. The normal iPods will all be updated to colour screens eventually anyway, and that will be the prominent feature in the next revision.

I would get one now. Hey, while you're doing it, grab one for me?

3. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

I'm planning on getting a 5G as well. I have a 4G right now that I got like the day they were announced (or almost anyway) so it's really not that old, but it's starting to have some problems. I took it to the Genius Bar and they said they'd replace it, but I think I may just hold onto it until new ones are released or just get myself a photo. I dropped it last week, after I had it in my front sweatshirt pocket and my dog ran under my legs; I tripped over him and the iPod fell across the pavement (of course, I didn't have the case on!! I had just walked out the door for a second to let him out and was in the process of packing up my iPod for school that day, so I just stuck it in my pocket when I went outside for a minute). Anyways, it's all scratched up now :(. And I think the HD's dying too.

Hopefully we'll see some new ones soon!

4. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I got a 30 Gig photo yesterday. I couldn't be happier with it. I think that the 5G iPod will be relased either during a random day in the summer (5% chance of that becasue it should be a completely new iPod with some new features job said). Or the Paris Expo which i think is highly likely. With my iPod i got the extend warenty through Best Buy so incase anything goes "wrong/bad" i can trade it in for one the same value.

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

The 4G iPods haven't even been out for a year, what problems are you having with your iPods hard drive? Why so soon?

6. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

It's been skipping, freezing up (complete freeze ups, won't even turn off/reset half the time). It's also been dropping songs every and then; and it makes these horrible clicking noises (louder than usual) and beeps at me.

I've dumped everything from the drive and reinstalled everything, and it seems to be working ok now, with an occasional freeze. I can live with it for a couple more months.

7. dcv macrumors G3

This sounds just like like the problem i've experienced with my 4G iPod. It is only about 6 months old, didn't use it at all for about a month, next time i did it started skipping about all over the place. It jumped to a random track (wasn't even on shuffle mode so don't know how that happened) then completely froze with the lock symbol in the display even though Hold wasn't on and i couldn't do anything other than let the battery drain. The unit got incredibly hot of course as the backlight was on all that time. Anyway, managed to charge it up again, but after that loads of tunes seemed to be corrupted somehow, they were skipping or being truncated after a few seconds and the hard disk was whirring really really loudly and taking ages to forward through songs. Tried to re-format it and upload all the tunes again but kept crashing out.

I took this back to the shop last week and it is currently being serviced - they said they would either fix it or replace with a brand new unit, so hopefully I should hear back about this later today or tomorrow. I've seen similar stories on the apple support forums and i think they were all 4G models too.

If it's still under warranty then return it, don't live with it. you might even get a new one :)

UPDATE: yep, just received a brand spanking new replacement :D