iPod AC/DC

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mojo2go, Dec 8, 2004.

1. mojo2go macrumors member

Jul 28, 2004
    SE Wisconsin
    I've been hearing/reading lots of complaints lately about iPod batteries wearing out and disgruntled owners shelling out substantial cash for a replacement battery.

I normally use my 20G G4 iPod only with an in-car radio receiver plugged into the 12V lighter socket (not using the iPod battery directly); or at home with an Altec-Lansing mini stereo, again plugged into AC. Once in a great while I do use headphones and let the battery run down.

Sadly, I'm not very bright with electrical issues -- so here is my question: if my battery does eventually conk out on me, isn't it true that the iPod would still work with those AC devices?
  2. vampirepiggy macrumors newbie

Sep 12, 2004
    Northern Virginia
    I'm pretty sure that the iPod will still work with AC/DC devices. I don't think the battery ever completely dies, but instead, only lasts a very short period of time (half an hour or so). It's the same with laptop batteries, I think. The battery in my PowerBook lasts about 2 minutes, which isn't even enough to boot up, but it still runs fine when plugged in.
  3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    yep, it'll still run on A/C... but since you're using it plugged-in most of the time, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The iPod's battery is rated for 500 charge/discharge cycles, so if you use it when plugged in, the battery is used only to keep the iPod's memory alive... which is not a major drain. The people with battery problems are people that tend to charge/discharge their iPod daily, or at least several times a week.

4. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    iPod batteries will die eventually. I'd go for the APP. I'm going to buy that right before I go out of warranty, as I like to procrastinate when it comes to spending money.