iPod, ACC and Windows

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Catt, May 26, 2003.

1. Catt macrumors member

Is there anything to stop me from using my, at the moment, hypothetical iPod to play ACC files despite the fact that I have a windows PC?
    I don't understand why ACC is Mac only as far as the iPod is concerned. I mean I assume its simply because Music Match is incapable of encoding ACC files. Does this mean then that it is impossible to encode and transfer ACC music files to the iPod from a PC? or is there some way of getting round this?
    I find it bizarre that there isn't some plug-in for music match to allow users to encode ACC audio. Has Apple done this on purpose simply to give the Mac version a bit of an advantage over the PC version? (despite the fact that they have exactly the same hardware and firmware)

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You can still use .mp3s. And I think WinAmp can read AAC files.

Do you mean PC to iPod, iPod to PC, or Mac to PC?

3. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I'm sure there will be AAC native codecs for windows... but for now renaming their file extentions to *.mp4 works, lol. You can also transfer the files over to your ipod probably by plopping them into the hidden directory that the MP3s are stored in...

4. Catt thread starter macrumors member

PC to iPod,
    I know I can still use MP3s its just I would like to take advantage of the improved compression of AACs thats all, and I was wondering if it is possible.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

At this point, I'm pretty sure you'd have to be using mp3s if you were using MusicMatch on a PC. But with the Windows version of iTunes, AAC is just around the corner. To be honest, I'm not sure if iPods can read AAC files made by other PC programs (QT Pro maybe?).

Someone wanna jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong.

6. Catt thread starter macrumors member

Someone I know mentioned Quicktime Pro.
    I just find it odd that there isn't a plugin for musicmatch to allow encoding and downloading of aacs to the iPod. I could understand if iTunes for windows was coming out say next week because this would allow Apple to make some extra cash, it just doesn't make all that much sense to make AAC a Mac exclusive iPod feature.
    Although when I get back from uni I can use my mum's iMac to encode and download AACs. But I really need to hear an AAC side by side with a MP3 to compare the sound quality to see if its worth it.

7. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

The latest version of Winamp does have AAC support. I need a decent Win32 AAC ripper, are there any yet??