ipod adapter for car

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by fjs08, Apr 24, 2005.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Jun 25, 2003
    I want to play my iPod in my car and run it through my car sound system. Any recommendations on a product that will do this for me. I've seen the cassette adapters but my car doesn't have a cassette player.

2. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    Have you considered itrip? Plays through your radio, no need for a cassete deck.
  3. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I use the iTrip by Griffin and it works great. Some complain about bad audio, but it's plenty good for me. :D
  4. runninmac macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2005
    Rockford MI
    I have used the Griffin iTrip and it works great as long as you arent in a place with a lot of electrical/phone wires hanging over your car. It has nice sound for a FM Tuner and has good base.
  5. Ogre55 macrumors member

Apr 24, 2005
    problem witht the iTrip is the fact that you end up with a 100 radio stations in your itunes playlist. If you like listening to your whole library on random you will end up with 5 seconds of screetching. I have also tried another fm transmitter that actually seemed to have better performance but lacked the nice integration of the iTrip. Also many car decks can be equipped with a ipod hard wire. That would have the best result but is also the most expensive stratagey. (150-200 for a new deck if your's isnt equiped and another 100 for the add on.)
  6. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    buy the Pioneer adapter for your car, i am getting it soon for my car, only is 140 dollars
  7. Ogre55 macrumors member

Apr 24, 2005
    $140 for the adaptor alone? BESTBUY has it for $100 but you need a compatable deck.
  8. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    hmm really 100 at Bestbuy, and yes for the adapter alone (not that much in my mind) i saw it on the pioneer site for 140

Also: Alpine just came out with an adapter as well
  9. trhall macrumors newbie

Apr 25, 2005
    Check out the Monster iCarPlay. I used to use a cassette adapter, but it was very quiet. Had to turn the sound up on the iPod and the actual car stereo. The iCarPlay just plugs into the cigarette adapter and both charges the iPod and transmits over FM radio frequencies.

I used to have the iTrip, but it's difficult to use (change FM station channel, etc.) while driving. With the iCarPlay, I just click on the button to change which station it is playing on. Picked mine up at Best Buy.

They're only about $69.95 (retail price).

There is also the iCarPlay Wireless Plus, which has a better screen on it to tell you which channel it's on and also has a larger range of channels. Darn. That must have just come out. $79.95.

The quality on this is much better than the iTrip(s) that I had. Just a happy customer...

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

You don't have to keep them there. Once you've programmed the iTrip to broadcast on a certain frequency you can ditch all of those annoying blips (including the one you're using) but it means you'll have to load them back on or use another person's iPod if ever you want to change the frequency again.

Still, I'm not a huge fan of the iTrip. I get heaps of interference (and I've personally kept my stations so I've tested most of them) around town and I don't think it gives great base. I don't consider myself an audiophile either, but I still find the sound shortcomings pretty noticeable. :(
  11. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Yeah, it is a pain keeping the channels, but since I use mine when I travel, it's a necessity. I suppose I could just create a playlist of all songs except the iTrip ones, and shuffle that. Hmmm....
  12. reh macrumors 6502a

Oct 24, 2003
    That's VERY easily solved by a smart playlist.