Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

realinspiration

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2003
London
I’m a very inquisitive person, I should think. I’ve got a few viruses on my computer, namely the W32.Blaster and was wondering if any such virus was capable of spreading on to my IPOD. I know it sounds it bit out there, but you never know!!!

I’ve been using Itunes for windows and am completely blown away. Just one thing, the super tagging system on music match is not on Itunes, is it????

In music match you can click on a tune and then press delete and it will delete it from your library as well as your hard disk. Does Itunes have the same capability?

I hated the fact that everytime I clicked on a song it would add it to the play list in music match, this doesn’t happen in Itunes, the interface is much more user friendly and looks much cleaner than music match.

I’ll reserve the rest of my thought until next week, but first impressions are good!!

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Blaster is a worm, not a virus. The difference is that a worm can infect a computer connected to a network without any user interaction. A virus requires the user to execute something. Since the iPod isn't listening on any ports, I doubt that a worm will get you. However, it is possible for a virus to infect files on the iPod, if you have an infected PC and access those files. But simply for music storage through iTunes, I don't think you should be worried.

Now, iTunes can delete songs like you are discussing. What I had to do was Consolidate the Library. This will copy all songs from their current location to the iTunes Library location. Now when you delete a song from the Library, it will ask if you want to delete it from the hard disk as well.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I don't know if i set it up myself, or how - but when I play something in iTunes it automatically copies itself to the library. Thus, when you delete it from the library it deletes from the hard disk.

I have a mate who used musicmatch but much prefers iTunes for windows!

Hob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.