iPod advice needed please!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by crowdaddy, Aug 8, 2004.

1. crowdaddy macrumors regular

Hey,

I just ordered my ipod mini not to long ago but am having second thoughts. I am wondering if i should get the 20GB 4G in place of the mini.
    Key info:
    music collection: 2.16GB its been that way for a while
    needed for: road trips, working out, jogging, etc.

I don't plan on doing any recording or any thing, i just want a player with a good amount of space.

What do you think ?

2. Nspace macrumors regular

If you really don't have that much music, the 20GB would have all sorts of additional space that would go to waste in a bigger package. The ipod mini being smaller i guess is easier for jogging and doing what you wanna do and can easily accomodate all your music and the rate that your collection is expanding. So it sounds like you made the right choice.

The only reason in your case I can see the 4G being beneficial is if you wanted to use it as an external hard drive to transfer files.

Enjoy the new mini!

3. alywa macrumors 6502

Agree with Nspace

Between my wife and I we have a mini and a 4G 40GB model. As far as style, the mini is clearly the winner... compact, tough case, increadible hand-feel. 4GB is plenty for those who don't want an entire music collection on it, and intend to use it for excercise, travel, etc.

I own the 4G 40GB model, however, because I do have a large music collection (18GB and growing)... it's just too cool to have everything you own in one place, with playlists (Jazz, Rock, etc) that keep you guessing.

Given your relatively small music collection, and wishes for use while excercising, I think you made the right choice, though both are good players. The mini is just so stylish!!! You won't be disappointed.

-alywa

4. crowdaddy thread starter macrumors regular

thank you for your advice! I hate that feeling when you buy something then u think of alternatives and get all worried. But thank you for re-assuring me! Also, I ordered a dock as well, was that a waste of money?

5. alywa macrumors 6502

Dock

I love the dock, but possibly not for the same reasons others may like it.

Since we have 2 iPods, we have two firewire cables, two AC adapters, etc. So... I have one firewire cable hooked up to my Mac, and use it to sync, charge, etc. We use one of the AC adapters to travel.

The other cable, adapter, and dock are down with the home stereo. The dock's line-out is way nicer than using the headphone jack to connect to the stereo, plus the dock holds the ipod upright to make changing songs, turning off and on, etc. easier. Plus, the iPods can charge while hooked up to the stereo, which is nice.

If you are just using the dock at the computer, some may argue that it is a waste of mone. I am not one of these people, however. The dock will help keep your ipod in good shape, since it has a dedicated home. It's face and back won't get a scratched, and it will have less liklihood of being burried by papers, books, accidenly spilled drinks, etc.

Stop worring and enjoy your iPod expereince!!!

-alywa