iPod allowed on airplanes?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by cleo, Aug 1, 2002.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I'm planning on buying an iPod to keep me company on a cross-country plane trip I'll be taking in October. A friend, however, told me that CD players, mp3 players, etc are not allowed on planes because they can interfere with the navigation systems. That sounds cooky to me... is it true?

2. phufball71 macrumors member

They are allowed, you just have to wait until the plane has been up in the air for a while.

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yes, they are allowed. The steward/ess will announce when it is save to turn on computers and small electronic devices.

The weird question is bluetooth and other wireless networking standards. You can not have any item that broadcasts on an aircraft because it is the broadcasting of a signal (cell phone) that can interfere with the electronics of an aircraft.

I know the p800 from Sony has a radio-off function that will allow you to use its PDA functions on an aircraft (it turns off the cell and the bluetooth), but you will need to, in the future, read your manual about whether a bluetooth device can have its transmit/receive functions turned off for use on a plane.

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

5. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

I fly alot

Like the others said.. they are alowed. You just have to waite till you are at cusing altatude and they say its ok. Its a requirment by the FAA. Cell phones have to be off all the time but you can still take them with you.

6. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

I fly with my Tibook and iPod on blast all the time.:D
    If any one says anything to you... You look them dead in the eyes, and turn your iPod around(showing them the Apple logo) and they will back off;)

7. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Brilliant!! :D

8. mmcneil macrumors regular

That is a very interesting point - Bluetooth is relatively short range and I'm not sure how the frequency fits into the avionics spectrum, but it certainly seems like something that needs to be considered. It would seem that Airport (1811?) is a similar problem - all of these technologies are constantly broadcasting.

My Kyocera allows me to turn of the cell phone separately from the Palm.

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

10. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Yeah!

Yeah Show off your Apple logo yeah! HAHAHAHA! Good point! :D