iPod and external firewire harddrive problems

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by rainman::|:|, Jan 12, 2003.

1. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Hi all,

I'm having a rather serious problem. Every time i plug my iPod into my computer, all of the partitions of my external firewire HD dismount themselves, and a message comes up telling me that i've improperly ejected the devices. All of my apps are on external partitions, and it causes a lot of program crashes (as well as file saving errors). I've checked Applecare database, they don't have anything about this; however they do have an article about how if you have an external firewire burner, and it's burning a disc, you have to let it finish before connecting/disconnecting an iPod. Is this the same problem, only applied to hard drives? My iPod is plugged into Firewire port 1 while the HD is in port 2, does this make a difference? it didn't do it the first couple of times, but now it does every time. If anyone else has any experience with this, or suggestions, please let me know! i can charge it on the external charger, but i need to sync sometimes!

Thanks
    pnw
    :confused:

2. optijaz macrumors member

Not sure why that happens, but I daisy chain my ipod to a firewire drive and that has no problems at all and it's an MS-DOS partition! Try daisy chaining them. Maybe if it's got to go through the hdd then it wont eject it. :)

3. rainman::|:| thread starter macrumors 603

Hey, sure enough it works perfectly now. I never thought to daisy-chain them, for some reason i was under the impression that you had to plug the iPod directly in. And i don't have to tug on the cord so hard to disconnect it now :)

thanks a bunch!

best
    pnw

4. zac4mac macrumors 6502

zac4mac

Paul, that's weird.

I have 2 - 6ft. FW cables plugged in the back of my duallie. One goes to HDDs(1 or 2) and the other dangles until I plug in my iPod. I've never seen the problem you had...
    Just checked, turned on my HDD, it mounted, then plugged in my'Pod; both are on the desktop.

G4 DP550 Mystic/1GB/10.2.3
    Original(2001) 5GB iPod/maunal update
    ADS FW enclosure w/OX911 & Maxtor 120GB

Zack

5. rainman::|:| thread starter macrumors 603

i have an unusual and probably unwise configuration whereby most of the contents of my Home directory are on the partitions, so i'd imagine it has something to do with that, especially as i haven't found a report of anything similar before. The desktop folder itself is on my Docs partition... until now i've never had a problem with it, i suppose something like this was bound to happen...

im just glad it's fixed :D

pnw