Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dobbson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2004
Hello.

My girlfriend just got a new ipod, not the mini, but her imac is circa 1997 and obviously doesn't have USB2 or firewire.

She's been telling me of problems when trying to install the software. I'm suspect that it's the USB issue since she's told me something along the lines that the error message is saying something about not supporting older versions.

I know she's running some variant of OSX 10.3.x

Should this work or is she out of luck?

Thanks!

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Well, you need USB2 or Firewire to connect to the iPod. The "software" is prolly iTunes and the iPod updaters. I don't see why they wouldn't install, but they're useless if you can't connect (which you can't).

BEN

Dobbson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2004
That's pretty much what I figured after hearing her read me the error messages. Thanks, BEN.

Addendum:

Is there any possible way to get firewire or USB 2 onto her old imac?

Dobbson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2004
I guess I should just go to her house and see what the real issue is. I'm all for the idea that it should be backwards compatible.

Thanks, folks.

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
There should be no issue with USB 1.1, other than the fact that the connection will live up to its reputation of being the "Ultra Slow Bus". iTunes, however, may pose another issue, though I can't be certain as to why. I installed the software just fine on the G3 333 iMac I bought for my parents not long ago.

Dobbson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2004
TLRedhawke said:
There should be no issue with USB 1.1, other than the fact that the connection will live up to its reputation of being the "Ultra Slow Bus". iTunes, however, may pose another issue, though I can't be certain as to why. I installed the software just fine on the G3 333 iMac I bought for my parents not long ago.

Oh yeah, I sang the whole "USB is slow" tunes to her all day, but she's fine with that. I just gotta make it work. Something is stepping in and interfering with the software install.

I mighta have jumped the gun on this, especially since the concept that ipod will sommunicate with backwards USB is actually possible.

Then again, i'd like to see her get a nice, shiny imac, but Xmas is far enough to where that won't please her if she can't get her tunes on the ipod :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.