iPod and iTrip - horrible bass, whats up?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Oats, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Oats macrumors regular

Hi,
    I just got an iPod (4G, 20Gig) and bought the Griffin iTrip to listen in my car. I must say, I am pretty disappointed so far. The sound quality in general is not the greatest, and the bass frequencies hardly seem to register. What is the problem? Has anyone else had this experience? Doesn't seem to matter what songs I play, although I ripped them using iTunes or MusicMatch for windows, they are 160kbps mp3s.
    -Oats

2. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

While I won't pretend to understand all the physics behind sound transmission, my impression is that radio frequencies provide better response (ie high and low frequencies) near the middle of the radio dial. Therefore, if you are using the region of the dial that is more likely to have open frequencies (ie very high or low on the dial), then you won't get the best response and may lose out on the bass.

That said, I don't think that even smack in the middle of the radio dial, an iTrip will give great quality. You'll need to get a direct connection and luckily more and more seem to be coming out, bringing the prices down.

3. joetronic macrumors 6502

I had the same problem. I just bought a tape adapter of and the sound is alot better.

You could also check the eqalizer settings, but then that will lower your battery life.

4. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

mcmav37 is partially right. you get better response in higher frequencies (bigger numbers). that said, it actually doesnt matter. the iTrip is not powerful enough of a transmiter to make a difference. the poor quaility you hear is the poor quaility of the transmition. if you want better sound quality the only way to do that is to connect directly. there are a number car stereos which have a dirrect connection either in the front or in the back of the deck.