iPod and MacBook... PRONE to horrible scratches.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macpastor, Jun 8, 2006.

1. macpastor macrumors regular

macpastor

I just got my MacBook Monday, and today as I was working with it, and cleaning it nicely, I got the million hairline scratches in the surface, just like my iPod.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or am I the only unlucky one.

This is the primary reason I have steered clear of the iBooks in the past, but I was told I was being paranoid. Well, not anymore. I am making a trip to the Apple store tomorrow to see what they will do for me.

If anyone else has had this experience, I would be interested to see how it happened to you.

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Just curious, what were you cleaning it with? And is there anyway you could throw up some photos so we can see what the scratches look like?

My iBook definitely has minor scratches, but I quite honestly don't mind. I almost like it... like it's a patina or something. :p

3. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

another reason i like my MBP. The textured metal makes it hard to notice scratches.

4. x86 macrumors regular

x86

The MacBook is textured, thats why I find this post kind of hard to believe...

[edit]: Nevermind... I'm guessing your MacBook is white?

5. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Oh, they definitely scratch. The white casing hides it though.

The iPod actually looks kind of neat after all those scratches... like it has texture! Seriously.

If it's your biggest worry, I'd say you're ahead of the game.

6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Yes, exactly! Patina. :)

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I disagree. I quite noticed the two hairline scratches on the bottom of my 12" PowerBook. I feel like the aluminum really accentuates scratches. :shrug: Plus, it hurts my heart more knowing how pricey the machine is in comparison. :p

8. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

Yeah! I love the way the back of my iPod looks now!

9. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

i assume you have a white one, because you mention old ibooks. does anybody know how well the black ones hold up? i've got one on the way. my friends white macbook seems to bee holding up very well, but he treats it like an egg. he wipes it with some sort of fancy cloth every few minutes too. :D

10. macpastor thread starter macrumors regular

macpastor

You know, there is the deal... I don't have time to wipe it down every three minutes to keep it nice. I want a computer that can handle a lick. I want the look of the PB, but the price of the MacBook. Oh I miss my 12" PB!

11. medea macrumors 68030

medea

as far as the black ones go, mine picks up fingerprints but I can't see any scratches. I happen to baby my gadgets though.

12. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

i know what you mean, but i dont think it necessarily needs to be wiped down every few minutes. he's really obsessive about it (he's only allowed me to touch it a few times :rolleyes: ). he has gotten better though. when he first got it he was wiping it down several times a minute, but now i've even seen him without the cloth one day. i dont think that computer will ever have a blemish.

13. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

my macbook is just dead sexy, no hairline scratches are gonna change that :D

14. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

My car is prone to horrible scrathes and it cost much more than any MacBook or Ipod, and if I took it to the dealer and asked them what can they do about the scratches for free they would laugh at me.

15. psxguru macrumors 6502a

then they would sell you a valleting service ;)

16. Moe macrumors regular

Some cloth material, and certain paper products, can cause fine scratches. In most cases, these can be removed with SafeCut from The Wax Shop. You wax your car, why not your notebook?

I wouldn't be surprised if Count's friend is using a lens cleaning cloth designed for use on coated camera optics.

17. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

There's a lot of microfiber cloths which will do the trick. Stay away from anything else!

18. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Simple. Just use APPLESAUCE!:D http://shop.ipodworld.co.uk/iPodWor...ries/AS01/Applesauce_iPod_Scratch_Remover.htm

IT REALLY DOES WORK!

19. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

But make sure you follow the instructions carefully if you're not familiar with microfiber! It can become dangerous and abrasive if not cared for properly.

Also, don't discount the possibility that you're seeing natural "whirl" marks. Circular scratches that "dance" in the light are part of the manufacturing process of glossy, polished materials except some kinds of glass. If the scratches are linear rays or curved, then they're scratches.

20. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

carpaint is actually much more durable than the surface of a macbook or ipod. Imagine all the debris that pelts the car when you are driving at 65+ mph. I understand your point to an extent, that surface scratches will occur, but there is a point at which the manufacturer is responsible for the durability of it's products against a reasonable exposure to external and environmental hazards. I'm not saying that it is true in this case, but it CAN be true and you can't rule out any and all responsibility of the manufacturer.

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

My macbook isn't scratching anywhere near as easily as my nano... in fact, it's proven quite resiliant. Though I have been babying it... :rolleyes: