ipod and magnet

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by theonenonlyjoey, Jan 26, 2005.

1. theonenonlyjoey macrumors member

theonenonlyjoey

so i think a magnet in a speaker fried my ipod...it's still under warranty...will the apple store give me a replacement?

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Well, you can't be sure that the ipod died because of the magnet, in any case, it just died, sooooo, without any evidence that you damaged it, I'm sure Apple will replace it for you.

3. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Just don't tell them that a magnet ruined the harddrive, as long as it is still under warrenty, they should replace it. I accidentally moved the magnet that came with my iSight across the harddrive on my laptop and it killed it in about 1 second. I called Apple and said my harddrive had just gone and they replaced it free of charge. ;)

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Although I've never done it before, wouldn't you just try to reformat the drive... oh nevermind I guess you need the iPod OS. :eek: Well if it wouldn't cause problems when you return it I'd reformat the drive and try to run the iPod updates on it. It's a long shot but you never know if it works till somebody tries. ;) :D

5. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Have you tried forceing the iPod into disc mode.

Toggle the on/off switch and then hold down Forward and Reverse for a few seconds.

I would have though that the iPod has a certain degree of magnetic shielding (sounding a bit trekkie there!!!) so unless it was a big electro magnet...