IPod and non-music files

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jennconducts@ho, Aug 26, 2004.

1. jennconducts@ho macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

One of the reasons that I'm currently using a PDA in addition for calendar, contacts, etc. is to carry text file copies of databases from my Powerbook (CD collection, sheet music collection, etc.) I'm considering buying an IPod, as I love the music aspects, but I'm trying to determine if it is possible to ditch my PDA by loading these databases on the IPod, then viewing the text files in the IPod's window, having the ability to scroll through the file, etc. Or, am I dreaming, and I should just shut up and carry both the PDA for such things and the IPod for music?

Thanks,
    Jenn

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

you can store non-music files to the ipod's hard drive, but those files are not accessible via the ipod gui - you plug your ipod into a computer and access the hard drive as any portable firewire/usb hard drive.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm pretty sure you can view text files on the iPod by putting them in the "Notes" folder on the iPods drive.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I was just going to say that. The iPod has a folder where you can place "Notes". I'm fairly sure you can scroll through those. :)

5. nef919 macrumors member

iPod PDA

Yes you can use your iPod as a limited PDA. I say limited because you can't enter info without using your computer. You can use iSync to sync your calendar and contact list. Do a search on <A HREF=http://www.versiontracker.com/php/search.php?mode=basic&action=search&str=ipod&plt%5B%5D=macosx&x=13&y=8>versiontracker for iPod</A> and you'll see all sorts of software that will allow you to transfer and view other stuff. I have had an iPod since the 1st gen and this type of functionality has been around from the early days and getting better all the time. There seem to be more freeware and shareware than commercial offerings for it.

6. jennconducts@ho thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, everyone, for your input so far. The Notes feature on the IPod seems like a possibility for my needs. A question: The largest of the two main files I wish to carry around with me and view on the IPod is about 600KB (so far, and growing slowly all the time, as it is the listing of a collection that keeps growing). Can the Notes feature handle that size of file, i.e. is there a limit on a Notes file?

Many, many thanks again.

Jenn

7. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Well, I am 100% sure that you can view just about any text file in the notes section of the ipod and I am 95% sure that size does not matter! Go for the ipod! :)

8. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

actually, remember reading in a macworld/macaddict issue that there is a limit on file size for the notes, but there is a program to get around that limitation...

i'll try to find it,
    reality

edit: september 2004 macworld was it... the limit is actually 4kb :eek:
    using book2pod, you can supposedly bypass the limit some how... so, check it out, it's free... and good luck