IPOD (and Powerbook) question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by discomonkey, Jul 11, 2004.

1. discomonkey macrumors newbie

hi all,

I just recently bought an IPOD from the Apple Educational store before this Cram and Jam deal came out. I plan on returning said IPOD to take advantage of the Cram and Jam, since I've just recently decided to make the switch from the PC world to a brand new Powerbook (weeee!!!). Anyway, I had a couple questions after finding this website.

The recommendation from this site says not to by an IPOD now and to wait. Does anybody have any idea of what kind of changes they'll be making to the IPODs? Will it be a whole new generation? Or just adding things like a dock to the 15GB version, etc. How long will the wait be also? I'd really like to have this IPOD now, but if the wait is only a month, then I'd be willing to wait... especially if it's a 4th generation that people are expecting. Any ideas?

The second question is regarding the Powerbook. I spoke to my university bookstore and they said that they expect their Powerbook prices to drop sometime in August. Is this because something new will be added to the Powerbooks and the bookstore will try to sell off their current ones? And if so, will the Apple store also drop prices to sell off old ones? or will they just sell the updated ones at the current price? Does anybody know what's happening there? Any ideas if this will be happening early in August or later? I'd like to have my PB by the time September starts, so I can't wait til the end of August to order it... and if we're not talking much change (or drop in price) then I'd just sooner order now and have my PB ASAP.

Thanks for any light you can shed on my situation.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The recommendation not to buy doesn't take into account the $200 Cram & Jam discount. With it, the iPods are ~half off. That's a good deal.

Likely changes are a top-end capacity of 60GB as well as possibly a color screen. The disk upgrade is almost a given; the screen upgrade is uncertain.

Laptop revisions will likely occur in the fall but might be very limited. Possible useful upgrades might include better screen resolutions and/or faster or bigger hard drives. A speed bump is unlikely and, if it occurs, will be minor.

As always: wait until you feel you must buy. Then buy the best thing for you at that time and don't look back.

3. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

The iPod is going to be updated soon and when it is, most people think that it will be to a fourth generation. I personally feel that this Cram and Jam promotion is to help dwindle supplies and now with this 100 million song thing coming to a close, an update may be near. You decide whether or not to wait. My advice is to wait and see what this week brings - if nothing, bo for it :).

As for the PB, the reason that your education store is going to drop it's prices in August is probably because the back-to-school shopping will be mostly over.

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

With the way Apple has been updating things this year, It wouldn't surprise me to see simply the addition of 60 gig iPods. It seems Apple has let alot of people down with their updates. ( Or maybe there is just alot of whinners, I'm not sure.)

I know I took advantage of the $200 dollar off deal last summer, and couldn't be happier.

5. discomonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

am i somewhat safe in assuming that the apple education store probably won't be lowering their prices for powerbooks by mid-august? if anything, would they just offer the "updated" PBs for the same prices then? I'm considering the 12" version, so i don't see a bump up in resolution benefiting that particular model... any comments?

and with the IPOD, i'm only getting the 15GB version as well, so a 60GB won't be worth the wait for me... but the colour screen option... hmm.... that would be very nice... possibly a pointless feature (IMHO), but still kinda nice.

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    id go for the cram and jam deal its pretty sweet if you think about it, even if a 60 is on the horizon