iPod and the future of video

Discussion in 'iPod' started by AtHomeBoy_2000, Oct 12, 2005.

1. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

I have heard on more that one occasion that there wouldnt be a dedicated vPod because there wasnt a conduite to sell it. So, the store would come first, soon followed by a way to import your own material, then the player. It sure seems that we have started int he right direction. I suspect a vPod by the end of next year.

2. the_freddinator macrumors regular

Nobody would buy an iPod that only played videos. Why should you spend money on something that only plays videos if you can get one that plays music, views photos, and plays videos. I'm sorry, but a dedicated vPod=Not happening.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

What would a "dedicated vpod" be, anyway? Obviously anything that can play movies can still play music. Do you just want a bigger screen? Bigger HD? More output options?

4. AtHomeBoy_2000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

Bigger screen and a direct output (no dock) option would be great. I think there is a marker for mobile video players. It's what the mobile MP3 player was 5-6 years ago. It isnt too big yet, but it will be there by the end of next year. If I had Dish network, I'd buy one of these.... http://www.pocketdish.com. If Apple provided a version like this combined with the ability to download movies or TV shows our your own DVDs, it would be a HUGE hit.

5. the_freddinator macrumors regular

I still don't think it would happen. Apple would give it a flash drive for music.

6. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

If you refer to storing movies on there and in higher resolution, if you read the apple teh specs on it, it says that it can be changed via any future firmware updates. Once movie content is available, you may still see this operate as a full music-movie player, but with not as large a screen as some would like for that.

notice no power brick included anymore either. Nice price, but some consumers will feel cheated by the price I am sure. They can be very funny when they see excellent value for money and then a little slice of their savings are taken away like that.