iPod and toxic-laden batter protest

Discussion in 'Community' started by Amani, May 2, 2005.

1. Amani macrumors member

May 31, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Have you heard about this protest?:

"The ubiquitous iPod. If you don't own one, you know some one who does.

10 million of these pocket-sized music boxes have been sold, each weighing a slender 6 ounces while packing up to 5,000 songs.

But while Apple declares that they are “committed to reducing the environmental impact of the work [they] do and the products [they] create” the iPod is not designed to have its toxin-laden battery replaced or removed. Apple can live up to their environmental commitment by making all iPod’s green.

How to Make a Green Apple

Produce toxin-free iPods
    Design iPods so batteries can be easily and affordably replaced
    Provide take back and recycling options for iPods and other electronics"

Whata you think?
  2. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    There have been a number of conversations on this, including this thread.

My opinion - The iPod poses far less a threat to the environment than any number of other things. Sure, anywhere we can reduce impact of our materialism the better, but I think they're just targeting the iPod because it's a high-profile representation of what they see is wrong with the world.
  3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    I just replaced the battery in my original 5GB iPod. Cost me $30. I tossed the old one in the regular trash.

If anyone's too stupid to figure out how to swap the battery, they can send their iPod to me (I'll pay postage), for... um, "safe disposal" and watch me flip it on eBay.
  4. apple2991 macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    You mean my 60 gig iPod Photo only holds 5,000 songs?

Hey, at least they've done their research.
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    For one thing, cell phones are a BIGGER toxic waste hazard simply due to their easily replaced batteries.

There are options to recycle old iPods...

People that start these arguments are clueless...

If you have a battery which is serviced by Apple, the battery is properly dispose of -- if you do it yourself, it lands in the trash.

So Mr. Ecoweenie, which is better?

Just because you don't like Apple's battery replacement price, doesn't mean it's a toxic waste pit.