iPod and USB

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Megaquad, May 23, 2003.

1. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if iPod would work, and would it be recognized by iTunes if it was attached to USB port of my firewireless iMac with that FW to USB adapter?

I know USB 1.1 is slow but at least it would work.

So what do you think, can anyone please try?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

At the moment it will not work. A software update (due sometime in June) is required for USB 2.0 to work. Apple has not said if the iPod will be willing to backpeddle down to USB 1.1 speeds. Apple also only support USB on Windows. The chances are not good.

3. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

I agree, i doubt very much that it would be possible. You could get an upgrade processer that has a firewire port built in (by sonnet) and that would work.

4. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

wait n' see...

I think USB 1.1 or 2.0 will work with macs too.. why would it only work with FW when its capable of working via USB with PCs...

lets wait and see when the update comes..

5. Megaquad thread starter macrumors 6502a

i dont think its needed to wait for such update because USB 2.0 is USB 1.1 backwards compatible.. so if there's no USB 2.0 it will be recognized as 1.1 i think.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Although I can't test this as I don't have the USB cable I don't think the iPod speaks USB at all at the moment.

7. illumin8 macrumors 6502

Re: iPod and USB

You know, you can buy a Firewire PCI card for only about $30. That might be what you're looking for.

edit: Oops! Just re-read your post and saw you're using an iMac... not the most upgradeable machine. What someone said earlier about a processor upgrade with Firewire might be the ticket.

8. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I don't know if Apple would block their Mac users from using USB (even if it is 1.1 and not 2.0). Doing so would be....eh....a little sketchy at best. I mean, I wouldn't mind if it didn't work normally, but I wouldn't like it if they forced you to use FW.