iPod and using one computer to sync and one computer to play

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by 7on, Oct 22, 2004.

1. 7on
    macrumors 601

7on

Heyheyhey,

So i sync my music with B&W. But I also hook my iPod to my PB when I'm away from the B&W. I then play my music from my iPod through iTunes on the PB. Is there any future problems i should worry about? Has anyone less done this have problems?

The big problem I see is that the iPod settings are saved on the iPod itself so I have to keep switching to Auto Sync when i hook it to the B&W and I have to switch it to manual when I want to listen to music on my PB. Anyway to overcome this?

2. macrumors regular

I haven't found any way to get past that either. It seems that however you set the unit it will work that way on both computers.

3. macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Why don't you just listen to the music from your iPod directly, without the passthrough on the second machine?

4. 7on
    macrumors 601

7on

I like the iTunes interface better than the iPod interface.

5. macrumors regular

Well...there is no workaround that I can tell. I do not use the sync feature at all. I like dragging and dropping as I please.

6. macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Okay, going from memory here, but if your iPod is set up to auto-sync with the B&W, shouldn't it give you the "This iPod uses another library" message every time you plug it into the PB? Doesn't saying "no" to that prompt drop the iPod into manual mode while connected to that computer, or does it dis-mount the iPod?

If the first, you'd be good to go; if the second, I recall there being a utility that uses an iTunes-like interface to control the iPod directly from your Mac....iPodLounge would probably have it listed.

Edit: they do, it's one of the features of iPodRip.

7. 7on
    macrumors 601

7on

lol, I actually searched for this thread to post a link for iPodRip. Thanks, it works exceptionally well.