Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phonic pol

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
UK
I'm curious, I just got an ipod photo for Christmas :) I always assumed that it was metalised polycarbonate with the etching done behind a clear layer but on closer inspection it looks like polished stainless steel. Does anyone know for sure?

The more I use it the more I love it. It's an exquisite mix of design & materials.

Cheers

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I don't know for sure, but the back is metal and acts like a heat spreader. I'd guess that it is polished aluminum because aluminum is a better heat conductor that steel.

phonic pol

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
UK
How about polished titanium? I think the heat dissipation qualities of titanium are good, it's just more expensive than aluminium i.e. not used so often. I get the feeling that the metal is harder than aluminium because if you look around the hold button and head phone sockets there's evidence of the material warping slightly when the holes are punched - something that is much easier to avoid with softer aluminium.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
OutThere761 said:
I would guess it's made of used uranium — they have to do something with it all! :D

Make an iPotty out of it. That would kill off a few generations... :eek:

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
bluemonkey said:
The back of the iPod is aluminum which is electro-plated with chrome. The chrome is only a few microns thick, so the thing scratches rather easily. The etched part is actually etched down into the bare aluminum.

I think on the older models it's steel, but with the same chrome plating that scratches easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.