iPod AppleCare

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ChickenSwartz, Oct 1, 2006.

1. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

I bought my 5G iPod about a year ago soon after it was announced. I looked back today and the order was made on October 14th. So, I have about 2 weeks to decide if I want to buy Apple Care for it. So far I have had no problems and any battery life loss is minimal. It is $47 with student discount. If this was the only circumstance I would, without hesitation, buy it.
    But...

I purchased it with my American Express and American Express automatically extends original warranties one year beyond what is offered by the manufacturer. So if I don't buy AppleCare, I still have a warranty for a year. If I do buy, I have the AppleCare warranty for another year and then the American Express will cover it for one more after that (3 years total warranty).

As of right now, I have no plans on buying another iPod and plan to have this until it dies. I just wanted to get others opinions, what would you do?

2. ChickenSwartz thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. KevKaos macrumors 6502

I just bought a 60GB Gen 5 refurbed Video iPod and did not get Applecare. I was going to wait until near the end of the first year. I had some problems right from the start, and had to call Applecare. That was my one free Applecare call, and the tech rep offered me the student discount so I went ahead and bought it now just in case. I feel good about getting it now that I have it. My experience with Applecare was VERY good and my problem was fixed over the phone (I have a thread covering the details if anyone is interested). The only thing I am not sure about is that the tech rep told me that the battery is covered, but I have heard from others that batteries are not covered. I would suggest that $47 is an affordable price for the level of support that Applecare supplies.

4. GreeneGirl7 macrumors regular

GreeneGirl7

That's a cool offer from American Express. If you can see yourself still enjoying your same iPod two years from now instead of whatever cool new version would be out by then, then I'd go for the Apple Care. If you will be pretty likely to have the money for the newest version within a couple years, then I would skip the Apple Care.