Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
According to sources, Apple is planning on announcing the availability of the AppleCare Protection Plan for their iPod product line as early as Monday. AppleCare is presently only offered for Apple's desktop, laptop and server computers.

AppleCare is Apple's extended repair coverage and extends both their Telephone Support (90 days) and Repairs (1 year) to a three year period from time of purchase.

As with many warranties, accident/abuse and normal wear and tear are not covered under the plan. Full details of Apple's present AppleCare plan are available in this Terms and Conditions PDF.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
They were not covered in the first place i didnt know that. I thought all apple products were covered got to read up moe i think

jer2665

macrumors regular
after hearing of so many problems with the ipod batteries and harddrives after a year or two, i wasn't about to pay $500 on something that could crap the bed in a year or two. I bought mine at best buy, and bought the extended service plan, I believe it was like $50 for 4 years or something like that. Depending on the price of applecare, that may still be a better idea. anyone thinking of getting one should definately check out best buy

clonenode

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2002
The biggest misconception about AppleCare is that it provides insurance style "coverage" against accidental damage. It does not.

It covers manufacturing defects in year two and three of ownership. The better part of it is getting extended, free technical support phone calls. That normally runs out after the first 90 days. With an AppleCare Protection Plan, you get free phone support for the rest of the first year AND the next two years.

It's a good thing and Apple's pricing is amazingly reasonable... as little as $169 on the eMacs & iMacs.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Is this a US only service?

Until Apple confirms this, I suppose we will have to assume it is.

We all know what Apple are like when mixing services with countries outside the US borders.

:rolleyes:

backspinner

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2002
Eindhoven
Originally posted by Flowbee
Maybe this is the new $749 product that's been recently rumored. :D

LOL

Actually, a friend was looking for an iBook and was shocked to find out that AppleCare costs a quarter of the list price...

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
I wonder if the iPod AppleCare program is better than Best Buy's own protection plan. I paid $40 for a 3 year extended warranty at Best Buy, and so far it has been well worth the extra expense. I've had 4 malfunctioning iPods, and Best Buy has replaced them all with a brand new unit. It's hard to beat a service plan like that, especially for the price. I've told everyone I know that is planning to purchase an iPod to get it from Best Buy, and buy the extended warranty coverage!

m.r.m.

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Germany
looks like apple are vying for a piece of the extended warranty pie compusa and best buy are holding at the moment. i expect apple care to be less benevolent in handing out replacements. some compusa´s and best buy´s even let you upgrade when the next model comes out. :eek:

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
Possible Pricing

Originally posted by jcshas
I wonder if the iPod AppleCare program is better than Best Buy's own protection plan. I paid $40 for a 3 year extended warranty at Best Buy, and so far it has been well worth the extra expense. I've had 4 malfunctioning iPods, and Best Buy has replaced them all with a brand new unit. It's hard to beat a service plan like that, especially for the price. I've told everyone I know that is planning to purchase an iPod to get it from Best Buy, and buy the extended warranty coverage!

According to the current pricing of applecare:

$169 is for the consumer desktops
$249 for the consumer laptop and pro desktop
$349 for pro laptop

Ipod which is a consumer product and is expected to take a lot of beating should be around ~$40-$60 range. IMHO.
Which could be similar to the best buy plan or a little worse. We'll just have to wait and see.
:D

Edit: fixed $349 to pro laptop not desktop my mistake. Sometimes my fingers just do thier own thing.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
I like the idea Apple will extend AppleCare to the iPod. I'm sure it's going to be priced around $40-60 bucks.

I'm sure batteries and case defects are the prime issues with the iPod.

For me I'll probably buy new iPod if it comes out with color screen this coming yr.

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
Best Buy vs. AppleCare

Best Buy 4 year (carry-in) coverage (CA)
: $39.99
"This Plan provides complete power surge protection from the date of purchase on the product covered.

This Plan provides coverage for product failures due to dust, heat, humidity and normal wear and tear."

Apple Care possible 3 yr coverage: $$ unknown.

"The plan does NOT cover:
b. Damage due to accident, abuse, neglect...improper environment (including lack of proper temperature and humidity), unusual physical or electrical stress or interference, failure of fluctuation of electrical power...

g.Repair or replacement or maintenance of items that have been subject to wear and tear such as cases, key caps, knobs, batteries, or mechanical parts. "

Hmmm... it looks as though best buy would be the better one already unless Apple offers a cheaper price or alters their current terms and conditions of coverage.

spaced

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Re: Possible Pricing

Originally posted by yoman
According to the current pricing of applecare:

$169 is for the consumer desktops
$249 for the consumer laptop and pro desktop
$349 for pro desktop

I think you mean $349 for pro laptop.

Also, keep in mind that the AppleCare for PowerBook and PowerMac also cover an Apple display when purchased with the machine. ;)

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
Re: Re: Possible Pricing

Originally posted by spaced
I think you mean $349 for pro laptop.

Also, keep in mind that the AppleCare for PowerBook and PowerMac also cover an Apple display when purchased with the machine. ;)

That is very true which warrants a higher price for the pro computers for some people. But I am unsure if an Ipod coverage will cover much more than the iPod.

P.S. thanks for the correction the bug has been eliminated. :)

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Originally posted by raiderz182
how long is original warranty with the ipod?

1 yr. Basically same warranty they use on all their hardware products.

Hmm so if you can get new iPod from BB's from just normal wear and tear what keeps me from getting a new iPod for next 4 yrs?? Seems like BB's would lose money covering normal wear and tear issues.

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
Good Point

Originally posted by ITR 81
1 yr. Basically same warranty they use on all their hardware products.

Hmm so if you can get new iPod from BB's from just normal wear and tear what keeps me from getting a new iPod for next 4 yrs?? Seems like BB's would lose money covering normal wear and tear issues.

Keep in mind that the product has to malfuntion within that time. If your ipod is working great you can't get it replaced. Another consideration is that the coverage I quoted was for California purchases I didn't feel like checking all the other states just the one I live in. So this aspect may vary from state to state. :)

rwintheiser

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2003
CompUSA

Well this is all very cool but my son bought a 10g iPod 1g, with a $50 care package from CompUSA. This covered defective or broken units (can't verify if you trashed it, would they honor the warranty but I think it was for "any" problem). Then the battery started crapping out, took it back, all they had was a 30g 3g, so they gave it to him, and we promptly dropped ANOTHER $50 to make sure we were covered again. My two pennies.

railthinner

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Re: CompUSA

Originally posted by rwintheiser
we promptly dropped ANOTHER $50 to make sure we were covered again. My two pennies.

That sounds like some shady dealings. You shouldn't have to buy a new protection plan. Your new replacement ipod should now be covered for the duration of the original plan. eh?

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
Battery Replacement plan

Has anyone heard about an ipod battery replacement plan for $99? Will this still be available if an Apple Care coverage is available? It is true though that currently batteries are not covered in Apple Care as quoted above. So if you have an ipod and were to pay $40-60 on the 3 yr coverage would you still have to pay $99 every time your battery decided to give up? Hmm...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.