iPod as a Significant Product

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Haberdasher, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Haberdasher macrumors regular

I recall when the iPod first came out. Steve Jobs had said the product would be revolutionary, and everyone was pretty unimpressed at its unveiling. We all wanted improved G4s, since Motorola was still dragging its feet at the time. All the PC nay-sayers said Apple had produced another dud.

I wonder if, with the creation of a whole new type of downloadable music system that everyone and their grandma is copying, a "huge" influx in the use of MP3 and portable players over CDs and bringing us on the verge of a revolution within the RIAA and digital management rights if anyone would like to rescind that opinion.

2. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

people are already comparing the iPod to the release of the original walkman, and discussing the iPod and the online music store's effect on how music is consumed. i'm not sure i buy this argument, but i've heard more than one media/culture personality claim that the concept of the album as a unified work (said pundits usually pointing to sgt. pepper's as the first example of an album that is more than the sum of its parts) is being replaced by the single as the atomic unit of musical commodity. which is sort of where pop music consumption started out.

i caught an old bond film on TV last night, "the living daylights" (with crappy timothy dalton) and the main evil henchman always had a walkman on. when he wasn't grooving to the awesome 80's stylings of a-ha, he was using the headphone cord to garrotte people. to me, the walkman is a vital 80's prop, and i wonder if the iPod's effects can be so far-reaching, or its image so iconographic.

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

ipods are exploding in my school in most classes at least two people claim they are getting one and about one in two classes (of 30) has someone that owns an ipod seeing that I use my ibook in school i see my music collection explodeing as I already have had people connecting there pods to my ibook to combine our collections I may save up to get a 40 gig one at this rate (or bigger if they are released in january.
    one boy brought in an archos juke box the brick as my class calls it.
    music is not the only thing were copying :)

Ipods ARE the new thing.

4. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

iPods are THE thing to own right now.

I don't even like the white buds, but I have to keep them becasue they look so cool and gives you so much cred... :p