iPod as Hard Disk on several OS

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Tremaali, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Tremaali macrumors newbie

Hi!
    At time I'm waiting on my 4G-20GB-iPod and I'm asking myself some questions about using it as an external harddisk.
    Should be no problem if you use only Mac-Comps (iPod will work with HFS+ and Mac-iTunes will not worry) or only Windows-Comps (iPod will work with Fat32 and Win-iTunes will not worry).
    But I'm using my iBook for storing my music at time and have 2 additional Linux-Computers, my gf has a Windows-computer and all my friends and my family have only Windows- or Linux-computers.
    First idea:
    Before I put the iPod on the Mac I connect it with the Windows-Comp from my gf and it will format to Fat32 and I can use it on nearly every comp because most or maybe every OS nowadays can handle Fat32.
    But what will Mac-iTunes say about a Fat32-iPod? Will it work with it or will it say: Hey this is an iPod for Windows: format to HFS+ or you get no songs with me on this thing. Same question about other syncing-stuff (want to sync iCal and my Addressbook).

Second idea:
    I found an instruction-manual to partition an ipod. Does anyone tried it without no problems? My idea is to partition it to 15 GB HFS+ and the rest with Fat32 for data-sharing. Will it function?

Other suggestions? How are you doing it? I cannot imagine that everyone stuffs his/her iPod full with 20 GB or 40 GB of music and that all the people you share data with have only Macs or only Windows-Comps or LInux-Comps.
    I treid to find out on the net but Apple is only saying that it doesn't function, Linux-people have either HFS+-support compiled in or format to Fat32 and Windows-people don't worry at all. And Mac-Users...I just do not understand them
    ;)

2. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

Hi there,

yes I only need to share with Mac users...

but still I was curious since I never formatted my iPod since I got it... and the 3G was mac/win compatible out-of-the box...

system profiler tells me this...

iPod:

Capacity: 27.94 GB
    Manufacturer: Apple Computer, Inc.
    Model: iPod
    Removable Media: Yes
    Detachable Drive: Yes
    BSD Name: disk2
    OS9 Drivers: No
    Speed: 400 Mb/sec Speed
    Unit Spec Id: 24734
    Firmware Revision: 1.51
    Unit Software Version: 10483

klein wit speelgoedje:

Capacity: 27.91 GB
    Available: 18.79 GB
    Writable: Yes
    File System: HFS+
    BSD Name: disk2s3
    Mount Point: /Volumes/klein wit speelgoedje

funny to mention it says no OS9 drivers... I plug it into some OS9 computers at a client of mine... so that works without any glitch, I have no Windows computer at hand... so I don't know... and Linux... never tried...

good luck anyway ;-)

3. Tremaali thread starter macrumors newbie

it "wasn't". when you put it on a win-machine it was formatted to Fat32 in the background. The 2G were preformatted to HFS(+?) or Fat32, from 3G on they let do it the comp of the user and not doing it anymore themself (wise descision).

Try to use your iPod on a Win-machine and it will not recognize it...
    HFS+-drivers cost money in the Win-world and Linux-users have them rarely compiled into their kernels.

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Nothing. I have a PC formatted (FAT32) iPod (for file storage) and use just fine with my Mac's iTunes. Remember that you can only associate you iPod with one copy of iTunes (however, there are "helper" applications if you must use iTunes on more that one comp), so use iTunes on your mac and stick with that. Finally, why bother with a second partition? Just create another folder on the root of the iPod drive and use that for file storage, it doesn't affect the iPod whatsoever.

5. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

haha, cool name for your iPod