iPOD audio connections and DJ mixing equip.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by IZKLD, Apr 5, 2005.

1. IZKLD macrumors newbie

Apr 1, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I am trying to buy either the Denon DNX 400, 800, or the 1500 mixer. I bought a couple of DNS 5000 disc players. My question is concerning the ipod.
    Do I need a mixer with digital audio in and/or out. The guy at Abrakadabra DJ equipment store, steered me away from the 1500 because it ran hot and not cleaner than the other two.
    The DNX 400 has two digital audio outs, one of them optical. The DNX 800 has two also but no optical.
    Can I plug and ipod to the back of one of these and:
    1. Be able to mix from the ipod.
    2. Be able to use it as a hard drive to record all of my old records by connecting it to the mixer, and playing the records on a turntable with a digital out. Does the ipod has a digital out signal?
  2. quackattack macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Sorry I don't have any experience with that DJ equipment, but I will try and help based on my experience trying to get Hi-Fi out of an iPod.

There is no digital out on an iPod, you can get a true line out through the Dock, or better yet a PocketDock. The only way I could think to get a digital signal is through a laptop connected to AirPort express, but obvously that won't help you. If you are going to a mixer you will want to use the line out instead of the headphone out on the top.

This is still fairly good quality, I have run an iPod through the line out to the mixer at the radio station I work at, it sounds fine. You should be able to mix fine, even though you can do any pitch/tempo shifts etc.

As far as recording, I'm not sure. I know you can record with the voice recorder.... but I question the fidelity. Perhaps someone else can speak on this. Hope this helps!

3. IZKLD thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 1, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I appreciate your response. I ended up buying the DNX 1500 because it goes better with the disc players, it is digital, and maybe (I hope), networks better with the ipods, as well as with a powerbook!
    I will use your advise, and only use the dock as a line out. I guess that the sound would be pretty good, even if it is not digital, 'cause I never heard any complaints. Thanks! :)
  4. anubis macrumors 6502a

Feb 7, 2003
    I used to have a pretty big DJ business a few years ago. I ran everything directly off my Thinkpad using winamp DJ mix plugins (automatic programming, beatmatching, crossfading, etc) or my Powerbook using MPlay (No relation to MPlayer).

To be honest with you, you're not going to notice a damn bit of difference between a digital mixer with digital ins and outs, and an analog mixer with RCA or XLR inputs/outputs. Maybe if you were doing production or multitrack work the digital would mean something, but otherwise you're probably just wasting your money. Having a digital receiver for your 6.1 system in your living room is an entirely different animal than having a digital mixer for your DJ setup. Quite simply, 100% of your DJ setups won't have the sound resolution for you to notice a difference: DJ speakers aren't studio-quality speakers, you're probably going to have the volume turned up high enough that distortion from the speakers or amplifier will completely cancel out any benefits you get from a digital mixer, and so on.

Hit me up on yahoo or IM if you're just starting out in the DJ world. I know things that only come with years of experience that I wouldn't mind sharing with someone.
  5. Spizzo macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2004
    Pacific NW
    100% Right!!!

I know a good DJ forum if you are intrested...PM me to come check us out. (Dont wanna spam here... :eek: )