iPod AV Cable

Discussion in 'iPod' started by adamsen87, Sep 19, 2006.

1. adamsen87 macrumors member

Apr 26, 2005

I'm about to buy an Apple iPod Av-Cable

But I wonder does it work with other iPod modelsand computers just for audio? Or is it only compatible with the iPod Video?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    It may work for other iPod models for Audio but don't hold me to that. They've taken a normal A/V cable and changed the colours of the plugs around so that if you plugged in an ordinary cable, video would come from say the Red plug, whilst audio from the yellow and white.

It would work with the iPod (with colour display) just as it works with the iPod (with video).
  3. adamsen87 thread starter macrumors member

Apr 26, 2005
    So if I connect the cable to an computer it will not work seamlessly if I have had an it for an iPod video before?

What I've found out this is how the iPod AV Cable is built from the tip (to the left) to the sleeve (to the right)

Left | Right | Ground | Video

and a normal audio cable is built like this

Left | Right | Ground

So shouldn't it work as a normal Mini Stereo Plug to 2 x RCA aswell, for computers and 2rd party mp3 players? Want one cable instead of two connected to reciever/tv :)

4. dwishbone macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2002
    On the Moon
    personally i just bought a normal camcorder AV cable and use that. it works fine on the iPod Video. as mentioned above all Apple did was change the outs. Video comes through white or red (cant remember) instead of yellow...etc
  5. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    what made me confused was the new Nano lets you do the same trick with the cables red white and yellow trick with just the firmware disabled so no video out to tv - but i'm sure it would work if apple enabled it in the firmware
  6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    that's what i did, i think apple sends the video down one of the audio outputs so you won't be able to use the apple AV cable with a normal Hi-Fi when not using the video bit, (though i haven't tried it with my 3rd party cable for ages so may be wrong, all I know is that my third party cable was a lot cheaper.)

They send it the video down the red output on my standard video cable.