iPod availability (Canada vs USA)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by strat, May 27, 2003.

1. strat macrumors newbie

I was just wondering how the availability of the new iPod compares in the US and Canada. I live in Toronto, and I've been waiting forever to get one. The first shipment was sent out to stores a few days after the American release date, and since then, there have been no more shipments to any Apple retailer. I even phoned a store today, and they say it'll still be about a two week wait before they get their second shipment? Is it like this in the USA, and would anyone have any idea why it would be over a month between shipments a product that is so new and in such high demand? Seems like Apple would just be losing a lot of money making people wait so long.....

2. vanillamike macrumors regular

I am in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and I have been waiting for new iPods to be available ever since they were released in the US. I even have orders with a couple stores. The first shipment went very fast from what I was told. The new date most of the retailers have given me is June 2nd for the next shipment. compusmart.com as well as a few others I have called have all mentioned this date. I hope it turns out to be true, because you are right they don't seem to be all that available up here in Canada. I can't wait for Best Buy to finally open their doors, maybe then we will have a more efficient supply chain.

Mike

3. dethl macrumors regular

We're waiting in the US as well

I ordered a 30 gig iPod, and on the order status, its gonna ship out on or before June 10th. Yeah, so us peeps down here in the US are waiting. Though I think 10 gig iPods are now shipping around the US (I looked at smalldog.com's website, and they said it would be until May 27th, today, when they would be shipping that particular model).

4. strat thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I have a couple of pre-orders going on too. All the stores I've called have said the same thing about the first shipment, but none have mentioned June 2nd...hope it's true. And as of Best Buy, the one that's opened here in Toronto doesn't seem to have iPods, or even be that great of a store overall....and what ever happened to futureshop carrying Apple products in TO? The one I called acted like they never heard of Apple.

5. zer0army macrumors regular

I'm in TO as well and have been waiting for my 15gig which is on order from my reseller since release.

I was told I could get 10 or a 30gig which is available....but i want more then 10gig and can't afford/need a 30gig.

This sucks considering people in the US were able to walk into best buy and grab a 15gig no problem.

6. illumin8 macrumors 6502

They are everywhere here

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I was in Best Buy yesterday (in the US) and they are everywhere, all three sizes.

If you're that impatient I suppose you could make the trip down here.

7. strat thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, the long car drive down to Buffalo is not an option... I just hate how American companies seem to forget about us up here.

8. gunner17 macrumors newbie

I'm in Toronto too, I placed an order for my 15g on May 1st with applestore.ca and recieved my ipod within the week, so sweet.
    Initially, they said it'll take a week to leave warehouse and then another 8 days for delivery, but everything went so smooth, btw, love the new ipod.

btw, anyone know how to display 'DISK1' & 'DISK2' for 2CD albums, i.e. Roger Waters - The Wall.....

9. Catt macrumors member

Supplies in the UK are non-existent.
    A local department store quoted me 28 days until they get in new stock!
    So I ordered from the Apple Store and it should arrive on the third of june; according to order tracking, despite the fact that it shipped yesterday - although I think its being flown from Taiwan...... which seems a tad odd to me.

10. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Cheaper to run distribution center for international shipments out of Taiwan. Cheaper wages, and a abundance of available warehouse space. Easier to control 1 central location versus 1 or 2 per continent.

Of course this does lead to longer transit times most of the time :(

11. ear2ear macrumors member

Actually, I was surprised to find both an iMac (G4) and an eMac in my local Futureshop last week (Richmond Hill). Of the eMac's price didn't reflect the recent update however (and they both had only 128mb of ram - not good for performance comparisons).

12. evil macrumors 6502

hey i live in toronto as well. i have a friend who works at a store that sells macs and hes had the new ipod since the week after they were announced.
    this store is also located in toronto.
    hope that helps

13. strat thread starter macrumors newbie

14. vanillamike macrumors regular

So I cancelled my orders at the other Apple resellers in my area because the June 2nd shipment that was rumoured never showed up. Supply of the new pods really suck. I ended up ordering mine from Apple direct. I was able to get an educational discount, and I used a $25 coupon I was emailed from Apple. $675 CAD for the 30GB is a pretty good deal I think :) If only the iTunes music store was available in Canada I would buy $75 worth of music with the money I saved.

Mike

15. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Re: iPod availability (Canada vs USA)

Strange... I live in Ireland - hardly the centre of the Mac universe - and got mine within about 10 days of ordering - including a laser engraving. Looks to me like Apple miscalculated demand in some places.

Mike.

16. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

I was waiting for my new iPod since the day of release. After like 3 weeks of waiting I bought an iBook.... And thank god I made my switch to Mac because I have now seen the light :)

17. vanillamike macrumors regular

Ahhhhh!! my iPod finally showed up at the Apple reseller. How ironic! Ah well I saved $75 by going through Apple direct, and supposedly it is going to ship on Saturday, with expedited shipping I should have it by next week. I guess I can wait that long, I've lived without it this long ;) Oh I can't wait!!! Seems like a new shipment has hit the streets, anyone else who was waiting get theirs in?

Mike

P.S. congrats rhpenguin on making the switch. I am trying to talk my sister into an iBook so I can "borrow" hers every one in a while ;)