Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idkfa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Canada
I have a question about the back of the iPods. Is it a metallic cover, then ink, then a plastic shell?

I am asking because I think one of two things happened when I was using Brasso to get rid of scratches. I sort of forgot I was buffing it for about an 3/4 hour, while browsing this site...

It either made the apple and ipod logo lighter (equals ink being on the surface, which I highly doubt), or made the back incredibly mirrored, as from some directions, everything on the back disappears. Maybe I am just crazy, but it looks different than I remember...

What ever happened, it looks really freaking cool...

idkfa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Canada
Sure. I am uploading them to photobucket now. I may take a video...

I have had this problem before: How can I put them in a post as thumbnails, or make them bigger?

idkfa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Canada
The area where I was mainly rubbing, around the logos, looks much darker and is almost impossible to capture. The [30GB] and text is usually quite visible... :confused:

idkfa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Canada
Here are the first few. Taken with flash, as it is really hard to capture the mirrored finish. It looks like crap in these, but it looks kind of cool in person. I am not worried about it, I just wanted to know what as on the go.

Here they are:

100_2164.jpg

100_2163.jpg

100_2162.jpg

100_2161.jpg

100_2160.jpg

100_2159.jpg

idkfa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Canada
I am going to try to take some more, if there is anything out of ordinary.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Holy crap dude you rubbed the Apple logo right off, which is ENGRAVED into the surface of the metal. It looks VERY shiny too. How hard did you rub it? :eek: :confused: :D :eek: :(

idkfa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Canada
Obviously a little too hard :D

I am not upset, surprisingly... It looks really, really cool. The logo is really ghost like looking, and it is VERY shiny.

More pictures of my now unique iPod momentarily. :p

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I agree w/ a previous poster, it really looks like that Apple logo is gone. :eek: But the good news? The chrome really is super shiny now! :D

idkfa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Canada
lexus said:
You have created a mirror!!!

Careful Apple may sue you for removing their logo.

:eek:

It is still mostly there!! :p

Underestimated my own strength again. :p

I am uploading a video now...

idkfa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Canada
It is so shiny it hurts to look at for long. In person it looks so clear; it does not look like it is a reflective surface, but your actual sight.

Your eyes even go out of focus when you try to look at it. When it is on the desk and you are looking down, your eyes try to focus through the desk... weird...

idkfa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Canada
Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Or am I the only one who cares so little about his iPod that I forgot I was using metal polish for almost an hour? :eek:

idkfa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Canada
lexus said:
Nope but please post your full instructions and I will give it a go

Whoa... My horrifying mistake has now become a procedure? :p

BE CAREFUL. I AM CERTAIN THAT THE GHOST IPOD LOGO WAS ATTAINED BECAUSE I STOPPED WHEN I DID. ANYMORE OR LESS, AND DIFFERENT RESULTS ARE LIKELY. I MAINLY RUBBED THE TOP HALF OF THE IPOD, AS THERE WAS A LARGE SCRATCH PRESENT. THE INFO ON THE BOTTOM STILL LOOKS FACTORY FRESH.

There was scratches to begin with on mine, so I am fairly certain the small ones that remain is not a by product of the buffing.

Now, some of the things I rubbed into this iPod may make some people cringe, and I AM SORRY FOR MAKING YOU THROW UP A LITTLE, but here goes:

1. THIS STEP MAY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT, BUT I DID THIS BEFORE SETTLING ON BRASSO:

Colgate Total w/ Fresh Stripe (the green/white stuff). I rubbed this into the back in circular and lateral motions. I would rub for about 5 minutes then rest for one minute. I used Kensingtion LCD cleaner cloths. After a few sets, I would use another damp LCD cloth to remove the toothpaste, then dry with a third LCD wipe.

2. I then used Brasso Metal Polish. I first used the same LCD cloths, but switched to an old t-shirt to prevent scratches. I dabbed some of the Brasso onto the shirt and started rubbing. And I mean rubbing. I used alot of elbow grease, enough so that you could click the wheel from just rubbing the back.

I switched between circular and lateral motions. I would rub for about 20 minutes, then wait for 5 minutes for the Brasso to dry in a bit, then either wipe it off, or keep going.

3. Last off, I used Brasso once and rubbed for 15 minutes or so, then applied a new dab of Brasso every 4 minutes and buffed. I never removed any of the original Brasso, so there was ALOT smeared on the back. Nothing to worry about, as it does not run. It looked really oily at this stage.

In a panic, realizing how much I put on, I used a wet portion of the shirt to remove some brasso, and then wiped dry. I did this several times before results were achieved.

4. To remove the last little bit of Brasso (and this part may make some people cry), I sprayed Mountain Berry Windex on the old t-shirt and rubbed it into the back. After a few applications of this, I rubbed dry.

5. You now have a mirror.

If you still want to attempt this after reading this, go ahead. If it looks cool from the photos, try it. I think it looks cool, but you cannot really get a good idea unless it is sitting in front of you.

If you browse this site while rubbing, it will make you forget you are rubbing a highly abrasive substance into the back of a sensitive, $400 electronic item. :eek:

idkfa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Canada
:D

That would be hilarious.

I warn you, mine is so shiny, that it can make you sick. :p

idkfa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Canada
I have read that one, actually.

I am surprised to how shiny I made it. It looks much more shiny and mirrored than a fresh iPod. Like I said before, I forgot I was rubbing for quite some time, and I was using TOO MUCH of elbow grease. :p

My wall and ceiling from my iPod:

100_2183.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.