iPod backlighting with AC

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by withnail, May 24, 2003.

1. withnail macrumors regular

So, I just got a 30GB iPod and am using it with the dock extensively as the source for my home stereo music. I don't suppose there's an option I'm just not seeing for the backlighting to stay on all the time when the iPod's connected to an AC power source...?

2. SoonToGetAMac macrumors 6502

Settings-->Backlight Timer-->Always On. Its pretty easy to access, so just set it whenever it is in the dock.

3. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

remember to turn it off when you take your iPod with you!:p

4. withnail thread starter macrumors regular

...yeah, I know about that setting. I was just surprised that there wasn't a setting that detected an AC power source and switched it to always on. All the cell phones I've ever had offered this on the backlighting. Oh well, guess they had to hold out some features for the next version. :mad:

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I would think of it as a plus to not have it on all the time it's plugged in. LCD backlights get dimmer over time the more they are used.

6. ozubahn macrumors regular

True, but with LED-based backlighting like the iPod uses, you can expect it to keep going strong for at least a decade of continuous use. The usual figure is 100,000 hours. The electroluminescent backlighting used in laptops and LCD monitors dims much faster.

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Ah, yes that would make a huge difference. I was unaware that the iPod used LEDs.