iPod Band not Happy with Apple

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Macs R Us, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!
    I had talked to a person who said there was a punk band that made a deal with Apple and if the did the music for a ad for Apple, all the mebers in the band would get a free 4gb iPod MINI. Now at that time Apple know the iPod had the headphone jack problem so they did not give them the iPod's. At this point the band was upset with Apple, and Apple could not tell them why they did not give them iPod since it was not sopse to be known by the public about the problem. It's important to know Apple correscted the issue quite some time ago with the iPod's jack. Now I'm fairly sure they got a 15gig iPod as a replacement but, they were not happy... Anyway I though this was interesting since Apple knew there was a problem, and they cared enogh not not give them the iPod's... At any rate this is what a found out and is just something I found interesting hope you did.

2. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Apple gave them a 15gig ipod instead of a 4 gig ipod and they were pissed? Seems like typical punk band thinking to me. :rolleyes:

3. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Boo hoo they got a more expensive ipod with greater than 3 times the capacity for their troubles? Man what a hard life!

I bet they wanted a pink ipod mini. Thats why they were pissed.

4. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i'd certainly hope that if a band agreed to let Apple use a song in it's commercials, it would ask for a little more than a $300 ipod. but then again, letting a giant corporation use your song in their commercials is pretty much selling out, and that doesn't sound very punk to me.

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

In all honesty, if I was in a punk band, and Apple wanted to use some of my music, I would let them have it for free. It is free advertising, and that is priceless when you are trying to make it in the music world. Who cares if it's "selling out". It'll get you noticed, and that's what a band needs...

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Agreed, they probably felt the iPod mini was icing on the cake.

Apple could have always had them wait till they had "good" iPod Mini's.

7. Macs R Us thread starter macrumors 6502

Very true, they should have been Happy for a bigger iPod but, oh well. I myself would not buy an iPod mini becuse of a 4gig size. But I think Steve Might be getting some biger iPods and mini's or atleast we can hope:).

8. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

As many of you know (or could know with a little effort), I almost never side with Apple on this board.

But screw these no-talent ass clowns. "I wanted an ipod but not the ipod they offered but I wanted to wait to get the ipod but instead they wasted more money on my stupid ass and gave me a more expensive ipod that wasn't pink SCREW APPLE"

Awful jackasses.

9. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Apple does try very hard to shield all of their customers from build quality problems if they can. Unfortunately this leaves people rather confused about what is going on since Apple usually won't clue them in. A better tactic might be to work harder to prevent such issues in the first place. Still, it is better than many PC vendors that will ship products they know to be defective in order to boost up quarterly financial figures before the items get returned.

10. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

What band was this? We can narrow it down pretty quickly to the likes of Steriogram, Jet, Black Eyed Peas, and a couple more. Who?

11. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

This story is obviously a bunch a bull.

Duh, sure use my song for all your commercials without royalties, just give me a nifty new ipod mini.

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah no kidding, these groups could just ask their labels for an ipod and they would have one. i have a friend who knew a band too and blah blah blah. and for you people calling them jackasses, thats kind of silly. if this is true, apple offered them ipod mini's, but got a big ipod instead. personally if i wanted a mini i wouldnt want a large ipod. i would lose so many sales if i couldn't offer people a mini and only a regular. the fact is that in this story, apple went against their word and didnt live up to their claim, which shouldnt be hard since they make the things. and saying they probably wanted pink ones, come on, feels like jr high or something.

iJon

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

But how are we to know that the story is true? ;) If I made a story of why I switched to Windows from OS X because of instability and lots of viruses (and Apple's unwillingness to remedy those), would you consider anything in there "fact"?

I didn't think so :D

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

just like i said in the first couple sentences, "if this story is true." personally i dont think it is, but i was stating my opinion if it happened to be true.

iJon

15. Macs R Us thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, it IS true... I know some one who saw it on I think MTV or somthing. I don't watch TV about music but, he's very reliable. I did not make it up. Mac people never make stuff up :) . Anyway, this is was I feel true as he knows little about Apple products (PC USER) and for him to know otherwise about the iPod problem would be amazing.

16. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I remember when Back to the Future II came out, my friend said the he visited his friend in California who said he saw some kids at the mall with new proto-type hoverboards.

17. Macs R Us thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes well a good joke for them eh? Anyway, he's not one that can lie about computers, he tried once as a joke and right away I could tell, he did not know what the heck he was talking about. I'll check with him to make sure since so many of you doubt that its true.

18. MarkCity macrumors newbie

I think the band you're talking about is Jet; the song was 'Are You Gonna Be My Girl?' And the story comes from an interview Jet did in which they were asked if they were given iPods by Apple - they said that they were promised them but they never arrived. I read this interview about a month ago. I can't remember if they specifically said Mini iPods - but hey, what does it matter?

Jet are hardly a punk band - they play rock and are very commercial. and having their song used in adverts (it was also used in a Vodaphone ad in the UK) hasn't exactly harmed their career. Their album's great, BTW.

19. Macs R Us thread starter macrumors 6502

So I was right, some don't believe me... Well can't say about the exact details, as I don't know.

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That doesn't prove your story one ****ing bit :rolleyes:

21. Macs R Us thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that my be ture but give me one "****ing" reson why I'd make something like this up:)... But really I'd be a moron to make something up like this :) ... If I was going to make something up, I'd say Steve had a Prototype Newton and it was coming back in 05... No he will never:), but we can all hope!