iPod Batteries Battered!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by eclipse525, Nov 27, 2003.

1. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

first, there was a thread about this a few days ago. secondly, apple now has a battery exchange program that makes this clip entirely incorrect.

pnw

3. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

WHat program is that? Like if ur battery dies they replace it free of charge?

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

no, after the battery dies (500 charges, if i remember-- pretty good for a rechargable battery) you can send your iPod off along with $99 to have an iPod with working battery shipped back. there was a news article about it recently here.

you can also find places to buy the batteries for $50, if you're comfortable opening the iPod...

pnw

5. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

First off...I did a search and didn't find a thread on this SO my apologizes, it's all good. SECOND, the revised battery policy that apple has is BOGUS. For Gods sake, it's rechargable battery. How the heck does that justify a $99 fee??? It's absured. This is where Apple is failing. What world are you living in when a rechargeable battery runs you $99. It's not right and they should reevaluate their pricing structure.

~e

6. Chomolungma macrumors regular

very dirty little secret

Amen!!

And you may not get your iPod back. Imagine you got someone else iPod that has their very personal (not talking about engraving) markings all over it. No, you will not get STD or even germs, but DAMN just the thought of getting some else thingy:D

This is why I won't buy an iPod, until they solve this issue

This is why I will never buy a use laptop either.

-Chomo

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

uh huh. i agree, apple should replace the batteries free of charge (something no company in the entire world does) until they're completely bankrupt. then we won't have to worry about it at all anymore.

i'm sorry, but no rechargable battery lasts forever, they all have a certain number of discharges before the chemicals wear out. the only problem is that the iPod is a closed unit, so batteries don't just pop out like they do on camcorders. but honestly, the closed system is part of what makes the iPod such a great player-- you don't have to worry about grabbing extra batteries for a trip, making sure they're all charged. they gave us a single battery with a very long charge (at the time when they created it, this battery was pretty revolutionary) in a small package.

500 charges should last the average person (which is who Apple designed the ipod for) between 3-5 years. i'd say that's not terrible. yes, this is a bit annoying, but it's not something i think people need to go defacing their ads over... if you don't like it, go find an MP3 player that runs on AAs, see how much *that* costs you in the long run.

pnw

8. Chomolungma macrumors regular

I don't think you are reading our arguement right. We don't expect Apple to replace the battery for free. All we want is a reasonable price for the replacement. AND new models should come with an easier way to replace the battery.

Yeah, I like to see how many hours you get out of your iPod after 400 charges.

I think you are ultimately right i.e. ~99% of people will not keep or use the iPod after 3-5 years. They would have move on to the next cool gadget. The same can also be said, that 90% of what we 21st Century Americans buy and consume is not vital to our existence.

Imagine a $299 walkman!! I'll stick with the $20 casette Sony walkman. The shinny silver metal retro look is in. I can imagine right now, you and I standing side-by-side on a subway train, you with the iPod and me with my 1970 walkman. I don't think you can hang:D

9. VirtualInsanity macrumors newbie

IPod Madness

The Ipod is a good machine, but lets be serious here. Too often it seems apple gets away with major annoyances because of the loyalty of there fans.

If you take good care of your pod but listen to it everyday, the battery will eventually die. In as little as 18 months. Apple charges you 99 dollars, and even more here in Canada, to give you some one else's refurbished or used ipod. What if they didnt take care of it? And besides one tends to get attched to their digital devices and trading it in is not a viable option.

I think that either there should be a way for a user to replace the rechargeable battery via some sort of latch at the back. Knowing apple, they could easily design it so that the ipod remains seamless. Or they could replace your battery for you at a reasonable price, these divices after all are supposed to last more than a year and a half considering their price. At the very least, they should return your own ipod after you send it in.

I realize that apple has to charge high prices because of their ridiculous market share, and also their excellent quality, but they should treat their customers better than this.

10. Chomolungma macrumors regular

Re: IPod Madness

an observation: In my personal experience, I have not seen a teenager or a 20 something person using an iPod. I've seen many 30 an 40 year at airports using one. Is apple trying to get the 40 something to use the iPod (a walkman after all)?

lets be honest, how adults do you know listen to music while walking, working in town?
    Walkman has always been a teenage thing, and will always be. I agree, it has never been about the expensive toy. It has always been about self-confidence.