Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thepacmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
Kuzumaki, Iwate
I posted this about 2 weeks ago and didn't receive any replies. If anyone knows anything I'd really appreciate it. My iPod is dying...

I've been plagued with the iPod battery problem that seems to be happening to a good many people (it's no longer holding a charge). So, now I'm hoping to get it fixed. It's a 10gb dock connector iPod. I bought it the day they released the new ones back in May, I believe.

1. I'm currently living in Japan and don't want to spend the excessive phone charges by calling Apple, unless I know I can get it replaced. Does apple replace them under the current warranty?

2. I'm returning to the U.S. in August (after the warranty) can I log the complaint and get it replaced after the warranty expires?

3. Is there some apple support e-mail or web page I can access? I've looked and can only seem to find a phone number.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Have you looked at apple.co.jp? It seems that if they sell Apples and AppleCare in Japan there would have to be a way to contact them locally.

thepacmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
Kuzumaki, Iwate
apple.co.jp

I will give it a try however my japanese is quite terrible and apple.co.jp is a bit out of my league. Anyone have any english advice? :)

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
East Lansing, MI
1. I'm currently living in Japan and don't want to spend the excessive phone charges by calling Apple, unless I know I can get it replaced. Does apple replace them under the current warranty?

2. I'm returning to the U.S. in August (after the warranty) can I log the complaint and get it replaced after the warranty expires?

From what I understand, there have been battery issues and Apple will either fix or replace your unit provided it is under warranty. If you don't mind having your iPod on the fritz until August, I'd purchase AppleCare for your iPod. This will add an additional year to your current warranty (and cover your May-August gap dilemma). It costs $59 ($45 with education discount). Then when you return stateside in August, take it into a store and you should be good to go.

But make sure you purchase and REGISTER AppleCare before the warranty expires or you will be SOL.

I had my charger die on me 2 days before my warranty expired and I wasn't planning on getting an extended warranty. Luckily, there is an Apple store one hour away and they replaced it for free. Sensing bad karma (especially with tax returns looming), I extended the warranty for $45 and now I sleep easy.

I. Lee

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
They may honor the fix if you phone now and explain your situation. I think if the problem is reported before the end of the warranty they should be able to fix it in august...no?

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
theres an apple store in japan, no?
anyway, that really sucks and im sorry to hear that :(

i think either the applecare thing or getting a new iPod will solve your problem.
Um i dunno Japanese, but looking on apple.co.jp... i think 0070-800-APPLE-1 (0070-800-27753-1) is the number for apple tech support in japan. ask for an english speaking person :)

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by übergeek
theres an apple store in japan, no?

yeah, go to ginza apple store. i'm 99% sure they staff an english speaking employee there. (i think i saw an ad for one in apple.co.jp before the opening.)

thepacmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
Kuzumaki, Iwate
Thanks for all the advice. I'll try giving that number a call tonight. I'm no where near Tokyo (I live in town of about 8000 in Northern Japan, yet 8mbs DSL..go figure) so the Ginza store is a bit far for me. We'll see what happens...thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.