Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eckslusive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2002
If u have an iPod then help me out. It seems that when i charged the iPod to the full extent and then i play it for like maybe 1.5 hrs and then turn it off and leave it off for 2.5 days it doesn't have any batteries left on the third day.
and i know it hasn't been on cause i have the hold switch over.
should i bring it back?
its been less than 30 days since i bought it.

Macette

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
that's been pretty much my experience as well. it sucks big time. Apple just replaced my pod last week (not because of the battery, but because one of the buttons stopped working) and it still has the same battery life issues - so I guess that's what we get.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
you should seriously return it because the iPod battery does lose the charge but it does hold it for a couple of weeks at least.

J Rock

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2003
Here's what ya do to fix your IPOD Battery Life!!!!

I own one of the very first 5 gig Ipods. For the last 6 months I've had really bad battery life. I would charge the Ipod and leave it in the off position and when I returned in the morning it would be dead. Only holding a charge for less then a day, if that. This is how you fix your Battery life! It's actually simple. You need to run your IPod battery completely dead, then recharge for no less than 5 full hours using the firewire cable and wall plug. Run your IPod battery completely dead again ( the best way to run your battery dead is to turn on the backlight and put your songs on loop). Then Charge again for at least 5 full hours. Repeat this 3 full times. My IPod now holds a great charge. Just Like New. Now if I could only figure out how to make those ugly scratches disappear...........

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
I wonder how much of the battery life trouble is related to the clock.

Also, when you say you left the iPod "off" did you just let it go to sleep or manually turn it off?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Well i haven't had my iPod too long, a few weeks... but in one instance i used it for about an hour and a half, then left it for about 4-5 days, and it still read full battery charge... i definitely haven't noticed any of the problems with battery life that the rest of the people seem to have...

if it's dead after two days of nonuse, get it replaced--

pnw

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
It's the clock.

Apple's clock is the source of poor battery life.. Nomatter what you do, the iPod will be counting down the hours, minutes, and seconds at all times and comparing notes with the calendar events for alarm functions.. It never truly sleeps since the last two versions of the iPod OS.. Revert your OS to a non-clock version.. your battery life will increase by days up to ~2 weeks of battery life with light use of a few minutes a day.

TRY IT.

Sure Apple is happy to take them back and replace the battery.. with another that lasts just as poorly.. because thay can't afford to admit their new "features" are at fault. It's an engineering blunder.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Re: It's the clock.

Originally posted by Xapplimatic
Apple's clock is the source of poor battery life.. Nomatter what you do, the iPod will be counting down the hours, minutes, and seconds at all times and comparing notes with the calendar events for alarm functions.. It never truly sleeps since the last two versions of the iPod OS.. Revert your OS to a non-clock version.. your battery life will increase by days up to ~2 weeks of battery life with light use of a few minutes a day.

TRY IT.

Sure Apple is happy to take them back and replace the battery.. with another that lasts just as poorly.. because thay can't afford to admit their new "features" are at fault. It's an engineering blunder.

Where do I get an older software update?

irmongoose

rideahyperLite

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2003
if you have a windows ipod you can reset the clock (i think by resetting all of the settings). after you do this dont set the clock. it will remain at a set time of 12:00:00 1 Jan 2002. this should fix the battery problem. this however doesnt work with a mac ipod because i am told that the clock sets itself everytime it is plugged in? i dont know if this is true because i have a windows pc. i guess i will find out when my powerbook arrives.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Eckslusive, the clock information is accurate, as far as I remember, and it's a long time, since I still remember how quickly the battery drained and I don't want it to happen again.

To further extend the life of your iPod, check out these tips I posted before the Expo. They should help you out.

10 iPod Tips

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.