Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jackal05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
I just recently (does 6 hours ago count?) bought a 4th generation 20GB iPod. I must say I am very satisfied with it and like it a lot. This is one of those purchases that I think was worth every cent. And the packaging had an exceptional quality that I have never seen in my life before! And yes, this is the first Apple hardware I have bought, thus I have a copy of Mac OS X Panther (I run it using PearPC). Ok, enough with my life's biography already. :p

So my question is about battery life. Lithium batteries need to have activity. So is it ok if I leave my iPod connected to a powersource (ie, my PC or via its adaptor) 24/7? Of course I will take it out but was wondering is it ok if it's connected to a power source whenever I'm at home?
Will that effect the battery's performance at all?
Thanks.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
It might, but you won't notice for a couple of years, at least, and probably not enough to make much of a difference anyways. I mean, the battery is already draining slowly, since all rechargables do, so there's a possibility it will start losing it's charge slightly sooner, but I'm sure it won't be anything drastic...

Jackal05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
So I should leave it connected?
And when it's fully charged will it automatically stop the incoming power?

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
If a lithium ion battery is left plugged in, then it will charge to around 100% and then stop. If the battery dips below 95% it will charge itself back up to 100% again. This way it keeps the battery from constantly recharging itself to 100%. So no you don't really need to worry about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.